Which games resemble the game of trading the most?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by aeliodon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. edil

edil

LOL! quite right.

#11     Dec 19, 2006
  2. jj90

jj90

Ok, how many more SCers lurk here. What did you game back in the day? Vanilla or Brood? Now I'm getting off topic.

#12     Dec 19, 2006
  3. Backgammon.

#13     Dec 19, 2006
  4. Pong

#14     Dec 19, 2006
  5. Are you sure about that? How is lousy, rotten odds similiar ? risk /reward at least.
    Theres nothing ive ever seen that represented good "value" in those terms.

Or maybe i dont know much about sports, when im on a sure thing ive never seen the returns on offer for it, sports betting wise.
    Besides, wouldnt that be too much like trading in terms of the OP's request?

#15     Dec 19, 2006
  6. Not really lousy rotten odds, you take either side you want depending on the line. The way i see it both sides are 50-50. Just like in stocks, the line moves as a certain side gets more popular. Things get more 'expensive' for the late comers.

If you consider 10% juice, if you have a >52.5% record in sports betting, you are profitable in the long run, which doesnt seem very good. However you are betting more on games that are 'lock' easy money bets. Similarly, just like in trading, only about 10% of my trades go in the direction I want them to, lucky for me I have 20x more shares in the ones that are winners.

Heard that old saying as soon as you find an edge a whole batch of others find it too and you dont have an edge anymore? That EXACT rule applies in sports betting.

Also lots of money management involved, cant risk more than 5% of your bank roll on any given bet, look for somple hedges, etc...

Also just like in trading, many try, only a few are profitable.

I just recently started, I simply follow the numbers, and i have beginners luck on my side, I am currently 11-6-0. (thanks to the lakers losing today by only 5)

#16     Dec 19, 2006
  7. Ebay :)

#17     Dec 19, 2006
  8. Golf >>>>>>> It is all mental.

#18     Dec 19, 2006
  9. X-box- Ghost Recon or Men of Valor

Lying in the bush to set up an ambush and take out 3 or 4 guys with a machine gun barrage is almost as fun as trading lol.... of course understanding that no money is involved lol.

#19     Dec 19, 2006
  10. Oh, ok cool.
    My testing win rate is well over 60%, but its the risk/ reward that always got me, its bad enough figuring that out myself, but having some bookie tell you your best bet might pay $1.20 to your $1 kinda always grates .
    Better value in the market, but im a no nuffin, so disregard my comments.
    Except for darts:)
    You want to test your skill, Vs probability? Darts.

#20     Dec 19, 2006