Which futures firm do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by optionzztrader, Aug 15, 2009.

1. May not matter to YOU but for my uses, I want to know how they handle problem days (exchanges down because of problems, natural disasters, outages, etc) what is their plan for answering the many phone calls they would get from customers trying to get out? How many dedicated lines do they have in place?

As Oldtrader tried to point out, margin is set by the exchange. Mirus may have some arrangement but overnight is not negotiable (I realize the OP doesn't keep em overnight/I do).

Let me put it this way, if there's a choice between two brokers, one who has a good plan in place for emergencies and one who simply lets the phone ring, I'll pay a bit more for the better prepared broker. It only takes ONE event (remember you can lose more than your account if a trade goes the wrong way) to take you out of the game and out of your life savings if it goes badly wrong.....

Good luck

#11     Aug 18, 2009
  2. It seems to me that as a general rule in life the premium paid to use first rate suppliers is rarely prohibitive.

You need to pay attention to the pennies but you can'y make those pennies the only factor in the equation.

I am still new to trading but I have zerp interest in finding the absoloute cheapest firm. I want the firm that delivers value once all elements have been weighed.

#12     Aug 18, 2009
  3. Darior

Darior

If your account is above 15k TOS give you 33% day trade margin, so you can buy 3 contract for the full price of one.
    You have to contact their support to enable that, it's not by default.

#13     Aug 18, 2009
  4. nvrabel

nvrabel

check out Peak Trading Group

peak-trading.com

Can be set up by margin or position limits for day trading, can trade through a webstation or download software. Work through RCG too.

#14     Aug 18, 2009
  5. If, as I have heard, TorS will be taken over by ETrade I suspect the intraday margin policy will be dictated by the new owners.

#15     Aug 18, 2009
  6. It was TD Ameritrade, and it's done.

#16     Aug 18, 2009
  7. kxvid

kxvid

TOS has online trading capability. This is unlike bare bones discount futures IBs.

TOS an great futures broker, I use them. The grass is always greener on the other side, and there is always a temptation to move to a discount. But so far TOS has been nothing short of excellent. Yes, there are cheaper firms and lower margins to be had. But those invariable come with major drawbacks such as less stability than TOS, no ACH, no real time account balances, poor support and shady "brokers".

#17     Aug 18, 2009
  8. Hey thanks everybody for their input. I appreciate it........Today was boring as hell, wasn't it?

#18     Aug 18, 2009
  9. I been trading ES and NQ(my acct and my client's accts) thru Mirus for a lil over a 2 yrs. They are a top notch firm, excellenet margins. Ninja platform with Zenfire feed is top notch. I cannot understand why anyone would use a broker that charges upwards of $5000 margin. Thats nuts !! :eek:

#19     Aug 18, 2009
  10. trendy

trendy

Well don't keep it a secret. Who has the best plan in place? From the nature of your post, I must assume that you have made the necessary inquiries.

#20     Aug 18, 2009