Which Front End is best for Automation

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by 123456789, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Prop who use Sterling Trader or Lazer(genesis) can accomodate an API. In states echo trade uses sterling as far I as I know.

#11     Mar 10, 2007
  2. QT is Medved Quote Tracker charting programme.It gets live quotes from your broker.
    I have 3 pcs running QT charts with quotes from IB,Optionsxpress,prophet.net etc.
    My major a/c is only with IB .no idea to shift funds else where.

#12     Apr 14, 2007
  3. nitro

nitro

Both of those software are well beyond the means of 98% of ET posters. To say nothing of the fact that it is mostly used by options traders.

nitro

#13     Apr 14, 2007
  4. tradingscreen seems to be one of the leading EMSs... perhaps i don't need to worry about the order handler after all...

#14     Apr 14, 2007
  5. nitro - how would you compare RTS and say, X-Trader, costs aside?

#15     Apr 20, 2007
  6. go to the StarBucks and as for a cup of Java......
    :)
    'Nuf said.......

#16     Apr 24, 2007
  7. nitro

nitro

Ooops,

Sorry I just noticed this. I am not sure what RTS is, but I can answer in regards to ORC, Actant, TT, Sterling, or IB because I have deep knowledge of all of these systems, both APIs and front ends.

First, one should distinguish between a front end, and an API. TT, ORC, Actant, Interactive Brokers TWS , Sterling etc all support both.

X-Trader is used by everyone I know at prop houses to trade futures. We use it at our firm extensively. It is clearly a standard amongst traders. The front end is ok, but imo very "bare metal" look to it. That is probably by design, as they are going for speed and not looks. I don't like it at all for options trading. It makes terrible use of screen real estate imo.

The TT XTrader API has many of the features that people want, but (and this is completely subjective) there is something not elegant about the software to me. We have tried to setup a TT simulator to test our execution API against the TT execution interface, and my gawd it is easier to get into a fortress than to do this. I don't know, I guess I am not a fan of the guardian, but I understand it's reasons.

Actant and ORC both have some great features that are well thought out. The ORC GUI client is amongst the best I have seen. Actant's front end seems awkward to me, but it makes great use of screen real estate.

I have intimate knowledge of both as I have developed mass quoting systems that use both Actant and ORC APIs. I guess I prefer ORC - it is not just the ORC software that is rock solid, but the support staff is responsive. Actant has one of the worst support staffs imo. But the software is also rock solid once you get it working.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. There are really no canned answers, but it is no surprise that each of these software are the standards in their categories.

nitro

#17     Apr 24, 2007
  8. am just back in town... many thanks nitro!

reason i asked is the person i am helping out, an options guy about to set up his own structure, is planning to trade via API, using RTS Tango etc initially... therefore I thought TT would be a good alternative choice compared to costly RTS, Orc etc, and it's (almost) free... but i note your comment on lack of friendliness of TT's API...

cheers mate

#18     May 2, 2007
  9. H2O

H2O

Tango will set you back about €10k / month, depending on your configuration... so like Nitro said... not for most on this board

#19     May 2, 2007
  10. nitro

nitro

I don't even know what this thing is. R, can you give me a link to it?

BTW, I saw your PM. I am just blind busy to really respond in the way I want to.

nitro

#20     May 2, 2007