Which flaws the Black Sholes model has?

Discussion in 'Options' started by crgarcia, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ironchef

ironchef

Good point. Unless probability move is zero any thing is possible and perhaps I was unlucky.

Regards,

#21     Mar 24, 2016
  2. ironchef

ironchef

You are right.

Actually I did own GOOG for many years and the trade was a covered call thinking I could make some "extra profit". I did make some extra with prior covered calls but did not expect the pop in GOOG.

What is a steep smirk? Much higher IV for OTM put?

Regards,

#22     Mar 24, 2016
  3. I'm glad you see it that way now. What you have is an implied distribution of prices (by the implied volatility), in reality there are no "probabilities" in the price itself. Just because the 1 sigma move is 20 points doesn't mean that is how the underlying is going to move. It is just a parameter of the distribution

#23     Mar 24, 2016
  4. nitro

nitro

All of this stuff is available online repeated so many times it is not worth repeating it again. Educate yourself.

http://www.google.com

#24     Mar 24, 2016
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Yes sir.:D:confused:o_O

#25     Mar 24, 2016
  6. ironchef

ironchef

7. ironchef

ironchef

OddTrader,

I quickly scanned through all the links. They are very helpful especially the last 3. I will read through them more carefully in the next few days.

Appreciate your help.

My thought so far is that everyone knows BSM is flawed yet the brokerages are still quoting and using BSM representations. Those that are able to exploit it by knowing a better model should come out ahead?

Regards,

#28     Mar 25, 2016
  8. ironchef

ironchef

9. #30     Mar 25, 2016