Which contract you scalp ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Surprise, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Surprise

Surprise

Hi

Which futures contract you find it friendly for scalping ? FDAX , CL .... etc .

2. Why do you want to scalp? Are you a gambler? Only a few very competent individuals with extreme capabilities and appropriate hardware/software can make money scalping. Whoever believes he/she can scalp a few hours/day and make a living is a fool.

3. Surprise

Surprise

Maybe u r right but i could say the same about swing trading ...

4. I have met a few very rich swing traders. I never met a profitable retail scalper. Maybe there is one somewhere, I mean retail, no hedge fund or HFT.

5. Surprise

Surprise

I agree retail scalping is not the way to get rich , but i cant say it is impossible to be profitable maybe very difficult but not impossible . swing trading maybe it is easier than scalping but it is still difficult and u need a bigger pot to start with ...

6. Visaria

Visaria

From my on going research, I believe you can make a living scalping for a few points each day.

I'm not sure you will become rich though doing so.

7. Handle123

Handle123

Times have changed a little, when I first traded S&P 500 futures, one full point was $500, each nickel, one tic, was $25, you could make very good money getting one full point a day, commissions were $15 retail, today's Emini ES full point is $50, one point is considered scalping and have to trade ten to get equivalent to the past, and retail is $4 bucks and higher. So for all those who think commissions are cheap, they are mistaken.

Each market has it's own personality, they might all be Indexes, but they all trade a little differently. Emini Nasdaq is the most forgiving, the easiest to scalp a few tics, and the ES is the toughest to scalp, but can handle Volume. Unless you are hitting 70% winners and have hardly any daily drawdown, rent a seat on exchange, I think it would be tough for a retail trader to make it. There is little room for error, one tic means much, total concentration and be able to acknowledge that you will average less than three tics per trade after commission.

But most of the time as timeframe expands, winning % goes down and hopefully profits go up, less commissions (which really eats up a good size of profits for retail in scalping).

beginner66 likes this.
  8. Visaria

Visaria

What was the level though of the SP when the value of a point was $500? Surely it was a lot less meaning you were trading a notional value less than 10 minis today?

9. Surprise

Surprise

regarding commission i find FDAX the cheapest , ES is very expensive ask-bid spread and commissions wise ...

10. From recollection the sp multiplier changed and eminis started traded in 1997 when the spx was in the mid 900's. Not a lot less then the current trading range by any means.

#10     Oct 28, 2010