Which Caribbean Island to move to

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by veritas007, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Leth

Leth

Wherever you decide to go....remember not to drink the water and/or swim with the jellyfish.

#41     Jan 7, 2008
  2. Mvic

Mvic

Water in Caymans is entirely potable as it is in other places like Bonaire and Aruba (some of the purest tap water available desalinated, triple osmosis and filtered many different ways and exported all over the CB). Jelly fish are no big deal unless you run in to a box jelly but in 12 years of playing in the waters around the CB I have only come across 2 (both in Bonaire, might have been the same one :D )

#42     Jan 7, 2008
  3. JB3

JB3

I would say Puerto Rico.

#43     Jan 7, 2008
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

geneva - dude! see ya there...

#44     Jan 7, 2008
  5. I know it's not the Caribbean but if I were you I'd consider Malta.

#45     Jan 7, 2008
  6. Bump-trying to due some DD on moving to the Carribbean in about 1 year.

I only spent a few hours there off the cruise ship in 01, but Malta is nice. Just to far to visit my family. Plus with their admission to the EU the tax laws were changed.

I am trying to figure out a nice safe place in Carribbean that is reasonably affordable. I was look at homes in USVI and Aruba and it's not that bad $$$ for $400k ish you can get a nice simple place.

Question on Puerto Rico is that I had heard it was the most crowded island of all true?

DR has nice cost of living but from what I have read and heard crime is bad like in Jamaica.

Unless otherwise I am looking USVI BVI and Aruba. Turks and Caicos is supposed be safe, but I have read infrastructure is still not quite there. I need reliable fast internet for day trading. I am looking 1 year out starting now.

#46     Jun 4, 2008
  7. LOL :p

How safe is it to trade in the Caribbean considering one storm can knock out all the electricity and so forth...

Go to a place like the Cayman Islands where you probably have less chances of having this problem... Obviously the infrastructure exists there considering that so many hedge funds run there operations in the Caymans.

#47     Jun 4, 2008
  8. I lived and traded for almost a year in Cozumel, Mexico. 45 minute ferry ride from Playa del carmen and mainland Mexico. 1 1/2 hours to Cancun. Internet and cell service were MORE reliable than in the US. Beautiful beaches, world class scuba diving, great food-- both Mexican and traditional carribean (seafood). Decent size ex-pat population, but not enough to seem like you haven't left the US. The women were unbelievable. I bought a VW Bug for $2500 US. Sold it back to the dealer for $2200 when i left a year later. Good medical. And cheap. I've been to many carribean islands; there are many others I'd go to to vacation, but few others I'd go to to live.

#48     Jun 4, 2008
  9. I respect you decision and have been to Mexico about 20 times for vacation and extended stay. The problem with Mexico which is critical is they follow Napoleonic law not English law guilty until proven innocent. So that's a deal breaker plus I am married and I don't like the way the treat women. But thanks anyway. Although it might be different if I was single. :p

#49     Jun 4, 2008
  10. For myself, I wouldn't live there during storm season, somewhere else maybe CA.

#50     Jun 4, 2008