Which Caribbean Island to move to

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by veritas007, Jan 6, 2008.

1. He said low crime. I lived in PR for two years. It's crap. Electricity is turned off all the time (they tried to turn it off to prevent fires in a tropical storm several years ago and they couldn't figure out how to turn it on again - for two weeks). Water goes out, etc. Crime is miserable (drug related mostly) and the government is a joke. Also, despite it being a US Territory, most of the general population couldn't speak a word of English to save their life.

The person who mentioned Haiti had me laughing. Yeah, that's real safe! Same with the Dominican Republic. LOL!

I think Aruba would be a good call. Doesn't get hit very often by tropical cyclone activity because it's so far south. It's a beautiful and fun island, with about 550,000 people, 450,000 of which are seasonal and tourist. It's also a rather dry climate, not rainy and wet with billions of mosquitos.

I'd be curious to understand Aruba's tax laws.

#31     Jan 7, 2008
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

key west :D

#32     Jan 7, 2008
  3. Mvic

Mvic

Sorry to disagree but crime on Gran Cayman is much much lower than PR, almost no violent crime at all (and what we do have is exported from the cess pool Jamaica) and unlike many other places in the CB people are very freindly without an attitude. Internet connection is Cable speed and reliable. Hurricanes are a problem but less so on the N side.

For nightlife I go to NYC, London, or Madrid, I go to Cayman to relax and enjoy the ocean. For a clubbing single guy not the best place (and hope it never will be).

#33     Jan 7, 2008
  4. If you are into natural beauty (whitewater rafting, undisturbed rainforest, scube diving, etc.), then I recommend Dominica (this is NOT dominican republic). This is wikipedia page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominica

and some quotes:

"Indeed, it is remarked that of all the islands of the Caribbean, Dominica is the only one Christopher Columbus might still recognise."

"Dominica is blessed with the most pristine wilderness in the Caribbean. Originally, it was protected by sheer mountains which led the European powers to build ports and agricultural settlements on other islands. More recently, the enlightened citizens of this island have sought to preserve its spectacular natural beauty and discouraged the type of high-impact tourism which has damaged nature in most of the Caribbean.

Visitors can find large tropical forests, including one which is on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites, hundreds of streams, spectacular coastlines and coral reefs."

If you are looking also for civilization, then you had better consider the largest city, Roseau (14,500 people) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseau

#34     Jan 7, 2008
  5. Dominica is one of the islands I never managed to make it to while I was living in the Caribe (there are so many). But always wanted to check it out. Heard amazing things about it. But it does seem rather outside the "civilization" aspect.

#35     Jan 7, 2008
  6. LOL, judging by the choices of the posters, it's pretty easy to tell who has high libido and who does not.

#36     Jan 7, 2008
  7. sugar

sugar

Canarias.

African islands in Europe (Spain)

#37     Jan 7, 2008
  8. Surdo

Surdo

Why else would you trade from Cabarete/Sosua.....certainly not the food?
    Any decent condo has redundant power backup.

#38     Jan 7, 2008
  9. Even the best hotels in Santo Domingo have the power blow out all the time....and they did have backup, but that took a min or two to kick in!:)

I still love to visit, but couldn't trade there and consider myself dedicated.

#39     Jan 7, 2008
  10. Surdo

Surdo

I spend a few weeks @ a time on the North Coast in a beachfront condo in Cabarete and the grid/generator runs 24/7 uninterrupted.

el surdo

#40     Jan 7, 2008