Where's the best place to buy a new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pookie, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Yeah, maybe. My Dell had two issues: power supply failure, and there was overheating so I had to reapply thermal paste and reattach the heat sink. Once I did that the system started operating normally again. This was easy to do/fix, but not something that should be done within the first 3 years of ownership.

- 2 power supplies failed on desktops
    - I had a laptop with the PCMCIA port failing
    - I had another laptop with heat issues

To Dell's credit, they sent me replacements with no questions asked immediately.

#21     Oct 13, 2011
  2. I've had ZERO problems with my Dell T3400 bought from the Dell Business Outlet a number of years ago. Intel E8200 processor at 2.66 GHz with 6mb of cache and 4 gigs of RAM. And with the NVS-290 graphics cards, I'm able to run 4 displays. Windows XP Pro too.

If you are only going to need nothing more than 2 monitors, you might want to check out the XPS-8300 on the Dell Home Outlet site. You can get the latest Intel i7-2600 processor that is smoking fast and sports the Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz processor for $739-$850

(the Xeon processors that are in the Dell T3500 Precision's are usually running at 2.4 GHz, and sometimes you can find one at 2.8)

The XPS-8300's on the Home Outlet site also come with gobs of RAM. Anywhere from 4 to 12 gigs on a 1333MHz bus.

:cool:

#22     Oct 13, 2011
  3. Yes, running XP. On wife's rig, using only about 1.2G on W7.

Some setups will use more RAM than others. I try to run "lean".

#23     Oct 13, 2011
  4. ibuypower.com

newegg.com

microcenter.com

#24     Oct 13, 2011
  5. Dell Small Business and use the Ships Fast for prebuilt free overnight shipping. I ordered one Sunday morning and it was here Tuesday morning 9am Fed Ex. If you don't have a business name, just enter your name on that line. Easy.

#25     Oct 13, 2011
  6. Check buy.com... they even shipped to Kazakhstan for me, so it's definitely reliable. My computer came in 8 days.

#26     Oct 13, 2011
  7. Can't vouch for Dell laptops... 80% are made in Taiwan or China by 5 makers and rebadged... at one time, Dell's were made by Wistron... don't know about now.

However, I've had a Precision M4300 for nearly 4 years.. gets used daily... still ticking like a Timex.

It's possible your thermal paste issue was an error in application. Of course that shouldn't happen, but it's hardly a reason to be generally down on Dell. Shit happens, sometimes. People make mistakes.

#27     Oct 13, 2011
  8. Buy a Dell Precision T3500 and reinstall W7 immediately... that is if you can do without Dell's troubleshooting software.

Suggest not buying one with W3503 or W3505 CPU... those are dual-cores. W3530 quad-core, or better, for my money.

#28     Oct 13, 2011
  9. pookie

pookie

Thank you for all of the great info, guys!

#29     Oct 13, 2011
  10. i forgot about this. i had several dell desktop die due to power supply failure.

**note: this was several years ago. many manufactures go through a cycle where they would sell crap for a year or so only to get reformed later, then back to crap, etc.

#30     Oct 13, 2011