Where's Jack Hershey?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by demonet, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Faith is faith. It is a mental and emotional process. Same in both cases of faith in finding God and faith in success as a trader, exactly the same, just different goals.

That you think the object of your faith is superior to someone elses object of faith is your problem, though you don't see that yet, and perhaps never will.

#71     Oct 28, 2003
  2. i respect that you have different beliefs than i do. i respect your right to have them. however, i do not respect the beliefs themselves. if i think religion is BS, there is nothing wrong with saying this, whether you are religious or not.

i'm very tolerant. i'm one of the most tolerant people here on ET. i don't ask for any statements to be censored or for people to be banned. i don't tell anyone what to do. that is different from me stating MY OPINION of religion. i do NOT personally tell people WHAT THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF, THAT THEY ARE A FAILURE, OR WHAT THEY CAN'T DO WITH THEIR LIFE.

that is why i can tell ARogueTrader is not a success in his mind. successful people know that to get success, you need to make yourself vulnerable to failure, and you may have to have some struggles on the road to accomplishing what you want. once you know this and accept this, YOU HAVE NO NEED TO PUT DOWN OTHERS WHO ARE AT THEIR STRUGGLE POINTS, BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY. this is why ARougeTrader's statements are absolute sh!t!

#72     Oct 28, 2003
  3. some faiths are more ridiculous than others. don't even try to equate them all.

are you claiming that if i have faith i will eat a pizza later today that it is as absurd as claiming i will go to hell when i die? both are unknown.

#73     Oct 28, 2003

4. your getting closer and closer GG.....Now, I am not a Hindu....I know of their religion and the basics of their beliefs....however although I do not follow their beliefs, I would never say I think their beliefs or traditions ( religion) are " BS"....And as for your tolerance, I know you THINK you are very tolerant but you do tend to tell other people in no uncertain terms, " I am right, you are wrong and your a fool for thinking the way you do".....Iv'e put up many examples but you know what im talking about...

#74     Oct 28, 2003
  5. The process of faith is the same in every case, every case. It is a leap into the future, a leap into the unknown, a way to bridge man's need for certainty with the reality of uncertainty of the next moment.

That you think you can rate the objects of faith on some kind of scale implies that you have some superior knowledge of ultimate reality, which I highly doubt.

#75     Oct 28, 2003
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

FAITH:

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

There is proof of people making money in the market ( through a process called trading ), there is no solid proof there is a GOD that I know of.....

Disclaimer: I have faith and believe in the lord....

I just wanted to point out that there is a difference....now I understand you mean "GEKKO" actually making money where he would have to have faith on himself, but he derives his faith in him making money in the market because someone before him has taken money out of the market....peace

#76     Oct 28, 2003
  7. i'm not going to go on and on about this. i will end with this:

i will agree that any belief in something that is not in reality is faith. i do have "self-faith." think of a trader who believes his past edge will apply tomorrow. i suppose you could say he has faith.

we will just have to disagree if a "faith scale" is logical or not.

#77     Oct 28, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

ooooooooooooops...

#78     Oct 28, 2003
  9. In this case, I am using the following definition:

b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

There is no proof that anything will necessarily happen in the future. Is there proof that you will not die tomorrow, or that the sun will come up tomorrow?

Since the proof of God is beyond the means of man's mind by definition, we simply don't know, and thus cannot judge.

No one knows whether or not they will succeed in trading, until it is proven to them by direct experience.

So the process of a positive belief in something that cannot be proven until it happens is the same in both cases.

#79     Oct 28, 2003
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Ill bet you any amount of money that the SUN will come out tomm...:D

So by your logic you are stating that one needs faith to succeed at trading???????????

one definitely needs faith to believe in GOD......peace

#80     Oct 28, 2003