Where's Elaine Chow?, when you need her...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by limitdown, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Caltrader (and I believe we have met each other not knowing each other's monikers on this board) didn't say those comments, I believe I did.

--Avoid that ---hire from protected classes response:
    a) hire staff as the world economy does, on contract and only renew it if they "work out" and "fit in"

b) only hired qualifies staff, meaning that they invest in themselves and the company only cherry picks

c) use hiring agencies just like lawyers and state in no uncertain terms who/what they want in their candidates
    Result
    ...similar to Caltrader, evidently he and I also share senior management experiences in consulting to Board Directors and being called in to fix problems at companies
    ...those companies playing fast and loose often develop more disgruntled staff than they can tolerate
    ...companies that invest in staff gain an intangible quality in their staff namely loyalty. That quality can't be quantified, pre-screened or paid for, but it sure protects companies when they need it most....

I can think of a single business that is not succesful that has good looking women can you?

I was going to correct for grammer but I have to get back to trading sorry.

I'm sorry too, that you didn't correct for grammer. Unfortunately it detracts from your otherwise significant reply, so I'm not going to take the time to try to understand what you were trying to say with this positive statement/question when you actually were trying to make it a negative/opposite statement/question.

Actually I can think of a number of businesses that rely on attractive people, primarily in sales, to represent their corporate products.

Ask yourself, when was the last time that you saw a handicapped Car Salesman?, an unattractive clothes model?, or a person that couldn't speak fluent english on a television commercial? -- just to name a few

#81     Jan 13, 2004
  2. maxpi

maxpi

If we supposedly don't have all these jobs in the USA who is buying all the real estate?? Did we not just have a buying frenzy that continues right to this day in California, and this is the off season for real estate.

:confused:

#82     Jan 13, 2004
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

In my experience if your treat your employees well, keep their skills current either through challenging projects / and or training, develop them and allow them a stake in the business over time, then very few of them want to leave. A few will leave and yes, you will lose the dollars spent training defectors. If you are doing the right things you will retain the bulk of your successful employees.

Of course, this approach takes much more work and skill than simply firing people .... but as another poster stated, people are always looking for the easy path - or perhaps the path that takes the least brainpower ......

#83     Jan 13, 2004
  4. jem

jem

It was definitely a positive statement about employing good looking women/people. When I practiced this was becoming an issue with the eeoc. It seemed for a while people were saying you can not aim to employ good looking people. I belive that movement is dying. I found it absurd. Good looking women make more money for themselves and the business they work for. The smart ones are particularly valuable in sales.

I just saw caltraders posts. I do not see his viewpoint varying greatly from dafugginman's except as to tone. But I do agree.

#84     Jan 13, 2004
  5. When a business has to resort to hiring good looking women, then ya know it has problems to exploit.

#85     Jan 13, 2004
  6. ktm

ktm

#86     Jan 22, 2004
  7. #87     Jan 22, 2004
  8. its raining jobs...

isn't that her cheer?

wasn't there a similar song like that?

they discussed that the lower number of filings had nothing to do with some elusory jobless recovery....

then they announced how EK needed to get digital through 12,000 - 15,000 jobs being lost, mostly in Rochester, NY.

hey, someone take the pin out of the map, and take Rochester off the map, too

#88     Jan 22, 2004
  9. Hey Elaine.....

PPI is postponed....WHY???

perhaps it shows that this so called recovery, is really elusory......

where are these jobs?????

hence, where are these profits????

hence, where are all these improvements in the economy?????

so what kind of recovery is it really, when you leave all the people behind?????

would a bunch of hungry 3rd graders believe their teacher if you told them they would have a foodless lunch????

#89     Feb 19, 2004