Where to find the # of Shorted Shares.....

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by andyf, Jan 31, 2020.

1. andyf

andyf

What is the best web site to find out how many shares are currently Shorted (and the Short Interest ratio) on a particular ETF?

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. Same question

3. Arnie

Arnie

Maybe just look at the top 10 holdings and see what the SI is for those?

4. guru

guru

5. Metamega

Metamega

Don’t think it’s monitored. Problem with an ETF is the outstanding shares can change as they can be redeemed or created so theirs no hard value.

6. themickey

themickey

I doubt many ETF's are directly shorted, any trader wishing to do so would do so via a BEAR ETF or Inverse ETF, same thing.
    On USA Market I couldn't find freely available short list, like there is on ASX.... https://www.marketindex.com.au/short-selling

7. guru

guru

The link I provided above does show short interest or number of shorted shares for ETFs.
    May not be 100% accurate, especially due to ETF share creation and destruction, but it shows whatever data may be available.

8. Arnie

Arnie

With so many inverse ETF's why would you short a long? Just buy the inverse.

9. TommyR

TommyR

etf's are created out of thin air they have no tangible value

10. themickey

themickey

Ya, but, gotta admit, QQQ is ok, it's a reasonably safe bet for a trader.
    As for many others, ETF's appear to give substandard results.
    An example, I follow via data hundreds of stocks and their sectors, it's not uncommon for me to see a large number of stock in one sector rising on a partucular day while the ETF of that sector falls and vice versa on a day by day basis.

#10     Feb 18, 2020