Where to find out the percentage of a stock shorted ??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by luisHK, Nov 18, 2010.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Wondered about it when reading the below news yesterday - and while losing quite a bit of money beeing long on MGM...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/237343-most-heavily-shorted-stocks?source=marketwatch

Where can one find such information ? I might not long on a particular stock if faced with evidence that major investors are betting against it.

Besides does the following assertion from the article make sense to you ? :

" the most heavily shorted stocks as a percentage of float in the Russell 1,000. When markets go up, these stocks typically outperform. When markets go down, they usually lead the declines. "

Thanks
    Luis

2. jprad

jprad

http://www.shortsqueeze.com/

3. That statement is lame. Too many caveats. You have your fundamental shorts, your technical shorts, long term shorts, short term shorts, sector shorts. Then we have options to consider. What to do?

I have a typical statement, "typically" an equity with high short interest will underperform over the long term. Google Owen Lamont, he's a short seller academic, fwiw.

I'll put a question out to everyone, if you go long based on whatever metrics/fundamentals you consider would you not buy a stock because of high short interest? I'm pretty sure no one will change their mind because of high short interest.

4. Heavily shorted stocks are squeezed more easily.

5. You'd think the PPT would have squeezed Lehman:D

6. It's the PPT's job to only squeeze the spoos.

7. luisHK

luisHK

Thanks for the link and the info - MGM didn't do well again intraday, yet I went long some more for AH/overnight.

What does PPT mean btw ?

8. Plunge Protection Team altought they prefer it if we call them 'the working group on financial markets'

9. GG1972

GG1972

if you use stops )mental or hard) what does it matter whether a particular stock is heavily short or not unless that specifically plays into your strategy or your strategy is based on that.

Most short float info is month old.

10. luisHK

luisHK

If intraday almost half of the traded shares on a stock are short, I would suspect institutions are betting on a dive that day, and their guess is very likely more educated than mine. I'd probably consider going long on other stocks on those days.

As of the short float info beeing a month old, are others confirming this ? in the article I linked and the www.shortsqueeze.com/ which one needs to pay to access most information, I thought it would be current info.

"Plunge Protection Team altought they prefer it if we call them 'the working group on financial markets'"

Thanks !

#10     Nov 19, 2010