Where to find csv files on historical stock prices?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by 1011011, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i don't really understand what are you asking...
    this particular sentence below doesn't make any sense to me at all-

once again quote from QP2 site-

mean that you can read the data from their data base directly using excel OR extract, convert and store whole data base into csv format files. and update it automatically each day.each stock in this data base will be represented in separate csv file and all data will be in it. 2-3-5-10 years of data. whatever they have it.
    same for yahoo-you can get all data for all stocks from yahoo and stored in your PC as csv. files using soft,that other posters mentioned above.

i've been working in programming field for a years, but have no idea what the "stripping" is ..those words typically belong to the night clubs.."stripping the data" from file :confused:
    you can read,insert, delete the data..but strip..wtf was that? enlighten me..i'm all ears..

#11     Jul 5, 2010
  2. 1011011

wow, this is a nested comment so hopefully casual viewers will be able to understand the original question and responses.

to clarify what i am requesting, i am looking for historical prices, volume, hi/low etc. for a crud load of stocks, going back 5 to 10 years. with this csv file, i want to be able to upload it all at once, probable take a few hours or so.

with yahoo finance, yes, i am able to download individual stocks but that will take a lot LONGER to do on an individual basis.

i just want one database with the data and then i can create all my statistics and analysis with this database.

some csv files don't come in the nice excel format that yahoo finance provides and so the software i have, i have the software to be able to download the csv files into a database. no stripping involved as you mentioned:D

i figure this is the cheapest way for me to create trading programs rather than having to spend money on this. maybe there are services out there that provides this data for rather cheap; i would be interested in this.

hope this clarifies? :eek:

#12     Jul 5, 2010
  3. Bob111

Bob111

not really..at least not for me..

i did point you to one provider i use-QP2. but looks like you prefer wasting your time playing with free yahoo...
    just remember-you are going to get what you have paid for it.
    plus-you are going to waste even more time creating your own stats...
    plus you ging to waste even more time dealing with possible problems i mentioned above already..
    plus-csv file system is not the fastest one to work with....
    why reinventing the wheel? i just don't get it....

if 26$ is too much for you-you are certainly in wrong business and trading is not for you...
    i'm using old version of QP2 database..i have about 20 years EOD data in it..QP using probably binary files..any scans, using their own functions(you don't have to create/test your own) are super fast.
    QP database is compatible with many applications like metastock,amibroker,wealth lab and so on..
    did you ever read,what those are capable of?

i suggest you to take a bit closer look..
    specially add ons

http://www.wealth-lab.com/Products/...y44+LiTQZ9jMJxkIP+04reGA7IJmSgJ5sCZmsljLmwX4=

create a loop,and download all stocks,one request per one ticker..it would be 7000 requests for all NYSE,NASDAQ,AMEX stocks..
    i've done this long time ago..it would take couple hours..maybe less..imo-no biggie, if you still want to do this..
    once a week i'm collecting the news from yahoo for about 2000 stocks.one run to collect all news for every stock takes about 2-3 minutes..

btw-it's can be done in excel too..using VBA,web querry or some other approach..
    anyway-it's up to you..it's your time..
    PS-i'm not affiliated with QP2..just happy customer,who using their service for about 8 years.
    my last words here-let me repeat one more time-if you go with yahoo-you will spend more time dealing with the problems i've mentioned above,far more, than you are going to spend working on your "systems"/ideas..maintenance of your own DB will eat most of your time..
    good luck..

#13     Jul 5, 2010
  4. #14     Jul 5, 2010
  5. 1011011

yea, i don't want to go with yahoo which is why i wanted a csv file to create a database; my original request:D

other ET commentators were referring to yahoo finance to download the data:p

you bring up a lot of good points about not reinventing the wheel. as a newbie computer science grad, interested in computerized programming, i'm having serious reservation on creating my own programming trading software when i can pick one up right out of the box.

me appreciate your comments

#15     Jul 5, 2010
  6. 1011011

#16     Jul 5, 2010
  7. 1011011

#17     Jul 6, 2010
  8. Bob111

Bob111

any proof? even if they are-it's likely for tax purposes. i 'm not using it right now,but it was interesting piece of soft,when they release it for first time..have no idea,who current owners are.... but-

http://www.turtletrader.com/wealth-lab.html

doesn't sounds like a arabs to me..

#18     Jul 6, 2010
  9. ticktock

ticktock

Try Telechart from worden.

You can get a free 30 day trial and the data goes back to the mid 80s for most stocks. Database consists of around 7000 stocks.

You can export all the database to csv/txt/ascii files that you can archive.

#19     Jul 6, 2010
  10. 1011011

If you are referring to the link you indicated earlier: http://www.wealth-lab.com/Products/...y44+LiTQZ9jMJxkIP+04reGA7IJmSgJ5sCZmsljLmwX4=
    than yes, its arab site

I checked out their IP address and sure enough, the website is located in arab. plus i have software to verify country ip location and sure enough, it's in united arab emirates

me not going to use this website:p

#20     Jul 6, 2010