Where to find cheaper 21" moniters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cornholetrading, Apr 24, 2003.

1. I will check out your recommendations. The monitor I spoke about above that has to go back is actually from Fry's.

#21     Apr 28, 2003
  2. You can buy BRAND NEW LOVELY 19 INCHERS for UNDER 250 why would you bother with refurbs??

You are true gamblers...:confused: :confused:

#22     Apr 28, 2003
  3. I like a lot of room for charts and prefer two 21" monitors over three 19". Maybe it is a psychological thing from always using 21" monitors but I feel like I am cramming stuff on smaller monitors.

#23     Apr 28, 2003
  4. HUH!!?? "Smaller monitors"?? it's TWO freakin inches --DIAGONALLY-- we are talkin here dude!

:eek:

#24     Apr 28, 2003
  5. Momento

Momento

I have a 21", and would not recommand anyone making the same mistake i did.
    They are way too heavy and take tremendous amount of desk space. I tried mounting them on something... but you need a heavy duty mount to support this 56kg monitor.

plus the heat is terrible... (i have the hitachi superscan)

I would recommand simply getting 19" like some other members have, or save up a little and get LCD 17", if money is an issue, LCD viewable area is much greater than CRTs... don't be fooled by the actual/physical size.

#25     Apr 28, 2003
  6. prox

prox

I won a 21" Dell .25 Sony Trinitron tube off ebay a couple of weeks ago for $117 + 60 shipping. Using it now and it's as good as any picture I've ever seen.

#26     Apr 29, 2003
  7. best bet is EBAY

Just a thought,

triple

#27     Apr 29, 2003
  8. Manu

Manu

Not only should you consider aspects of space usage and heat production, but also the effects of electro-magnetic radiation emmitted by the CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors.

For example, I had three 19 inch monitors; sitting in front of it for 6 to 8 hours a day gave me a headache; using the computer in the evening caused insomnia. Some may argue that the headaches and insomnia are side effects of trading, but I would disagree.

My decision was to purchase three 18 inch LCD monitors, which I was able to buy at Costco for $350 each. The health hazards where just too great for me. I didn't mind spending a bit over a grant, I'll make it back in trading in no time.

:)

Manu:D :)

#28     Apr 29, 2003
  9. def

def Sponsor

I've been surrounded by dozens of CRT's for the past 15 years and never had a problem. We've even measured the radiation a couple of times and all levels were fine. If you still get headaches, you might want to get an eye checkup - this may solve your problem.

(got to add this though, was going to upgrade to a LCD over the weekend and on a whim went to the other side and got a Mac G4 with a 20" cinema display - all I can say is wow!)

#29     Apr 29, 2003
  10. bro59

bro59

That cinema display is beautiful, but the price - Wow! Hopefully IB paid for that.

Noticed most of the lcd's offered by Costco are analog only. Isn't that a reason not to buy them, or is the text just as sharp as it would be with a dvi input?

I'm still trading with CRT's myself. Mine are 19" superscans bought new and they do bother my eyes after a long day.

#30     Apr 30, 2003