Where to chart the product (multiplying) of the prices of two stocks?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cyrix, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Cyrix

Cyrix

In Stockcharts.com we can chart the ratio of two stocks by using ":"
    but they don't provide charting of the product (multiplying) of two stocks.

Where on the web can we chart the product of two stocks?

Thanks.

2. Cyrix, I've never seen <b>anything that uses the product of two stocks.</b>

Don't waste your time. There is nothing down that road. Ratios are mean reverting, and that's what makes them more useful.

Even trying to think about what you can do with the product of two stocks doesn't give me any useful information.

This is not a good method whatever it is that you're trying to do and a chart of that won't help, either.

3. Cyrix

Cyrix

I am testing some methods using product of two stocks. I will let you know if they work or not.

I am using Excel to do the calculation right now but if there's a quicker way to chart it would be great.

Anyone?

4. He could be multiplying a stock by a currency ETF to get a non-$-denominated view. Would be a reasonable thing to do.

5. Since you are using Excel you can use IB (Interactive Brokers) API and get the data into your spreadsheet.

(Quick and dirty solution, not really recommended if you want to go further.)

6. Cyrix

Cyrix

Is there a charting tool/website (like stockcharts.com for ratios) so that I chart directly without using Excel?

7. Cyrix

Cyrix

Anyone?