Where to buy laptop without pre-install software?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 88888888, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Where to buy laptop without pre-install software?

Bestbuy or Dell normally only sell laptop with pre-install OS (such as Xp, VISTA or Linux/Ubuntu, etc).

I want to but laptop which does NOT have any pre-install software, so that I will not pay for the software. I plan to install software myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Forum admins will probably move this to hardware section where you'll get more appropriate traffic.

I purchased a Dell machine today direct from Dell without an OS, the unit comes with the CD so I can choose from XP Pro x86, Vista x86 or Vista x64.

I assume that the motherboard drivers will be installed... but who knows. First thing I'm doing is throwing the HDD in the garbage and installing a server quality one.

Dell should get you what you need and with no OS it'll be cheaper. newegg also???

3. Could you please post some of the names models etc. for those server quality HDD. I am looking to get a couple of 1t HD and any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. laptops have hardware that require software, you're options are limited

5. You could always buy a Dell or Bestbuy model and format the hard drive yourself.

I recently purchased a Dell E5400 that had Vista Business preinstalled and the first day I got it I erased the drive and loaded XP. In all the process took a couple hours.

6. I recently purchased a Dell E5400 that had Vista Business preinstalled and the first day I got it I erased the drive and loaded XP. In all the process took a couple hours.

I have several PC with pre-installed XP.
    But all of the PC I have do not come with CD for XP.

How do I get a copy of CD/XP to install?

7. Saxon, my bad for even posting about that. Laptop hard drives are 2.5" and server quality drives are all 3.5"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822332010

You can't get a 1tb in 2.5" and you can't get server quality in 1tb either. I haven't fully explored what HDD i'll buy other than I'm looking at something in the 150gb size for my work/trading station due to cost. Anything 300-500gb is going to be close to $1k for the hard drive and they may not all interface with a typical PC CPU case.

Good luck - I've had good luck with my trusty Dell Latitude D610 laptop.

8. gnome

gnome

The drivers are installed on the HDD, and they are specific to the OS.

9. gnome

gnome

There was a time when computers came with "recovery partitions". OEM's have seen the errors of that and now include the OS and software disks.