Where is Value? A historical view

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Brandonf, Jun 5, 2005.

1. mhashe

mhashe

funny that most "hedge funds" can't even beat the indicies.

#11     Jun 5, 2005
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Many are not even trying too. You fail to understand the reason many people get into them if you think they all should.

Brandon

#12     Jun 5, 2005
  3. ozzy

ozzy

Brandon,

If you manage money for CEO's from the top companies in the US why are you here trying to woo retail/ET money. Please advise.

ozzy

#13     Jun 5, 2005
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I think if you read the post again, maybe more carefully, then you will know why. Hopefully we can get back on topic. I can start a bitch about Brandon thread in chitchat to clear things out a bit here if that helps.

Brandon.

#14     Jun 5, 2005
  5. mhashe

mhashe

The only reason I know of for anyone to "invest" in a hedge fund is to increase their networth. Are there other reasons?

#15     Jun 5, 2005
  6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

The majority of hedge fund investors I talk to are first interested in protecting wealth. Until very recently most had net worths in excess of $10million, so they are already "rich" and they do not need someone else to make them so. Most sophisticated hedge fund investors are looking for a reduction in volatilty of their overall portfolio and to preserve wealth. A certain portion of that money might be allocated to more aggressive funds and managers, but the primary concern tends to be preserving capital.

Brandon

#16     Jun 5, 2005
  7. ozzy

ozzy

I have re-read your posts and the results are the same. In my opinion if you manage big money (CEO/upper class) that should keep you and other money managers more than happy.

I guess if you don't have anything positive to say than you should not say anything at all.

Hence, I digress.

ozzy

#17     Jun 5, 2005
  8. With all due respect, I for one couldn't care less what motivates him to provide these videos. More importantly, Trend Fader, why do you? Brandon has done nothing but offer his opinion free of charge to anyone with an interest. Over many years, he has continued to provide quality content both on his web sites, and by posting here on ET. He operates above board by paying to advertise on this web site. He contributes to the overall community in a positive way.

Several years ago, one of Brandon's posts led me to another one of his web sites where he provided daily information relevant to my style of trading (at the time). Each morning, I used the information to profit from the market. Brandon had provided information free of charge that enabled me to trade a variant of the "Gap Opening" method Brandon discusses in another thread. I experienced excellent results and profited substantially.

For the record, I have never visited the current web site located in Brandon's signature line, nor have I viewed any of his videos. I have never been a client, nor do I intend to become anytime soon. However, based on the one free piece of (highly profitable) information he provided me several years ago, I can conclude without a doubt, a new person could do far worse than watching Brandon's videos. I would definitely recommend him as someone who not only knows the markets, but also, knows his trading.

I hope you find the above information useful.

- Spydertrader

#18     Jun 5, 2005
  9. if hedge fund investors want to protect wealth, just invest in 10 year treasuries, from start to maturity. they are guaranteed a 4% return

but why do they go for hedge funds? because of the risk adjusted return.

this generalization of hedge funds is pretty amazing.. there are many types, each geared toward a different type of investor, but the bottom line for any hedge fund is its sharpe or some other risk adjusted return. if you can't beat the market in terms of the sharpe (0.33 or something for S&P) then why invest in hedge funds?

investors look for alpha. the excess return on the investment for the hedge fund's risk.

#19     Jun 5, 2005
  10. mhashe

mhashe

Preserve wealth? you can do that with tax free munis or treasury notes. Not only do you preserve the wealth, you get paid to preserve it at close to Zero beta. There is a certain logical dissonance to "invest" in volatile hedge funds trying to "smooth" out ones portfolio. Ah well, I'm still learning.

#20     Jun 5, 2005