Where is the edge?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Capt Hobbes, May 14, 2013.

1. Position sizing will not help if expectancy is negative.

#21     May 16, 2013
  2. I do not see from the charts that the expectancy is negative.

#22     May 16, 2013
  3. southall

southall

The speculators edge:

"The speculator can choose to only bet when the odds are in his favour. " -- Larry hite.

#23     May 16, 2013
  4. I agree with the statement that

"The speculator can choose to only bet when the odds are in his favour. "

The black swan risk is overblown. There is an edge/premium/positive expectancy here. Just need proper risk management so that one does not over-bet here.

Do you trust HF/Traders doing this for a living, or do you trust a book?

#24     May 16, 2013
  5. jb514

jb514

I'm sure there are hedgers overpaying, but look at it from the perspective of a market maker. So say it's just you and an MM. You're claiming vol is overpriced due to the risk averse and the hedgers. That means the MM can post over priced offers and get hit all day long selling at a premium but why would he also bid at a premium? Wouldn't he be bidding to try and buy at a discount? If his bids are over pricing vol he would just get hit all over the place.

#25     May 16, 2013
  6. ammo

ammo

he (mm) aligns out of skew (fat vol)the options at the money or just in the money on say cisco 23.5or 24 calls after a big pop,the ones public is buying, then brings them in once it calms down

#26     May 16, 2013
  7. That was a reference to the book I cited, referring to a base case selling program.

As to LJM, there is no way to know what they are doing exactly, but one might guess they should be already position sizing, and still having unacceptable drawdowns. Maybe they are idiots and did not position size - I do not know. Of course if they did, it would reduce their return.

There is a lot of difficulty in finding any example of a successful long-term selling program.

#27     May 16, 2013
  8. TskTsk

TskTsk

Who says the "big players" aren't doing this already? Keep in mind, a big player in the volatility markets is obviously dwarfed by those in other markets

#28     May 16, 2013
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Two things:

The mm will try to bid at fair value or lower. But mostly market makers try not to make money positioning. The lesser let exposure they have the better. He would love to sell to a hedger at 40 and buy from you at 38 and get his capital back to do it agaon

#29     May 16, 2013
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

When I was on the institutional side I had never heard of the iron condor strategy. No one did it.

#30     May 16, 2013