Where is my ddedll.dll?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Fte_Fce, Sep 2, 2009.

1. I have done this and now when I check "Enable DDE Clients" in TWS i no longer get the error msg. But I still can't get the TWSDDE.xls to work. When I type in a quote in the tickers tab and click on the Market Request button excel simply freezes and locks up on me.

I am using Windows 7 Home premium and Excel 2010. Have tried API version 965 and 966.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#11     Dec 1, 2011
  2. Anyone having the same issues I am try this worked great for me....

Are you using Google Chrome by any chance?
    We have noticed on several occasions that in certain instances, DDE will not work if Google Chrome is running. Somehow Chrome's inter-process communication interferes with DDE.
    [/QUOTE]

I can't believe how awesome ET is. It would have taken me a very long time to figure this out.

#12     Dec 2, 2011
  3. None of the above solutions worked for me. I think the basic problem is you cannot use a 32-bit DLL with a 64-bit application. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

MG

I can't believe how awesome ET is. It would have taken me a very long time to figure this out.
    [/QUOTE]

#13     Dec 23, 2011
  4. spacewiz

spacewiz

MachineGhost,

64-bit Windows is backward compatible and should fully support 32-bit applications, otherwise more that 50% of windows software wound't run on them.

Make sure you download 32-bit Java JDK (or JRE), and put it in your PATH variable.
    If you don't have to have 64-bit Java - uninstall it , install 32-bit, and try again.

#14     Mar 9, 2012
  5. spacewiz

spacewiz

The short answer - you need 64-bit Java for larger heap sizes, on windows on 32-bit JVM I believe the largest heap size I was able to set is 1280m.

Here is the more detailed answer from Oracle site:

(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/hotspotfaq-138619.html#gc_heap_32bit)

The maximum theoretical heap limit for the 32-bit JVM is 4G. Due to various additional constraints such as available swap, kernel address space usage, memory fragmentation, and VM overhead, in practice the limit can be much lower. On most modern 32-bit Windows systems the maximum heap size will range from 1.4G to 1.6G. On 32-bit Solaris kernels the address space is limited to 2G. On 64-bit operating systems running the 32-bit VM, the max heap size can be higher, approaching 4G on many Solaris systems.

As of Java SE 6, the Windows /3GB boot.ini feature is not supported.

If your application requires a very large heap you should use a 64-bit VM on a version of the operating system that supports 64-bit applications. See Java SE Supported System Configurations for details.

#15     Mar 9, 2012
  6. ddouglas

ddouglas

Has anyone figured out the solution to this?

I have tried most everything posted in this thread, & then some.

I uninstalled all java, re-installed it - first 32b, then 64b, then repeated, but in reverse order - then the same process with TWS uninstall/reinstall . . & so forth.

TWS absolutely refuses to run on 32-bit java, but runs just fine on 64-bit. Except the same ddedll.dll missing-file error message.

Any insights?

#16     Apr 16, 2012
  7. sepa

sepa

Had the same problem when I switched to Windows 7 64-bit.

TWS ran fine but not DDE. Tried everything here but still I kept getting the "ddedll.dll file required for Excel integration is missing" etc error message.

Finally figured out the problem was IBControllor, which I always use to load TWS. If I loaded TWS normally, with C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe in the Target it worked fine.

IBController will only access 32-bit Java. Got it to load 64-bit by adding these lines to the IBContoller Start.bat file:

set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\"
    set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

I know nothing about Java or programming so there is no doubt a more elegant solution, but it works!

#17     Jun 8, 2012
  8. Hi,

I have read the posts about 'missing ddedll.dll' file for DDE in TWS, the latest one seems to be dated around 2012.
    I appear to be having the same problem in July 2019.
    I am running windows 10 Pro version 1903 (64 bit), and java 8 update 221 (64 bit), and TWS version 976.2o (screenshot attached)
    I note the comments about changing the 'target' text box for TWS, unfortunately mine does not look anything like the ones posted. I have C:\Jts\tws.exe -J-DjtsConfigDir="C:\Jts", as shown in the screenshot below.
    If someone could point me in the direction that I could look to try and resolve this error it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Graham.

#18     Jul 28, 2019