Where/how can I master price action to trade it profitably?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AvestroTrades, Feb 6, 2019.

1. AvestroTrades,

You are on the right path because you realize , no holy grail stuff will make money. So just forget the indicators for now. no time study the 100s of indicators out there.

Get a good charting platform that has good demo account, like ThinkorSwim. They even have the mobile app as well.

I was in your shoes before about 1-2 years ago. I really didn't know where to turn, everyone wanted to sale me something and time was ticking. And man I got tired of trying this and that. I also threw this automation stuff out the window, too much work and messing around, even though I am programmer. Best to stare at chart until have a know profitable way to trade, then automate. Otherwise, over optimization will lead to losing money and losing time.

I decided to stare at the lower time frame charts (15 min down to 1 minute) I chose only time frame chart in that range and stuck with it. I chose one ema indicator and stuck with it. I went to youtube and look at price action stuff.

I just draw lines all over the chart and try to make good profitable decisions per day. Record notes in my journal. I sim trade until I get consistent profitable.

#11     Feb 6, 2019
    avigdor74, qlai and CALLumbus like this.
  2. Yes, exactly what Handle123 said.

#12     Feb 6, 2019
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

#13     Feb 6, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  4. For me the best way to understand price movement is to understand where the big buyers/sellers orders and short term liquidity are and , along with chart trend lines.

#14     Feb 6, 2019
    billv and Handle123 like this.
  5. %%
    Some buy utilities for a dividend,OK, more power to them Then you see one with no dividend+ management known for screws ups, worse than {C}Citigroup. PCG is down again., no surprise The strange+ tough thing about the market, easy to see how DOW/DIA gets overpriced,some days, but its still a big mystery how PCG ever got above $5??:D:D

I do have about 5 charts on 5 minute candles, but 52 weeks/end of day............ makes so much more money.
    PUT that another WAY, market makers have better things to do than watch 5 minute charts; know of one fund that does short term trading well =Crabel Capital Management. Most all the rest do end of day, which means daily candles, weekly candles, monthly candles. I know many hedge funds do shorter time : that is why so many of them dont beat SPY/S&P 500

#15     Feb 6, 2019
    Palindrome and ironchef like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

Watch price development until your eyes bleed....and lose the assumptions.

#16     Feb 6, 2019
    avigdor74, NQurious, slugar and 3 others like this.
  7. %%
    Exactly; + i would not call them holy grail= but 50 + 250 + 50 day /period moving averege can help

#17     Feb 6, 2019
    avigdor74, carrer and SimpleMeLike like this.
  8. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Focus on what you want to master. Minimize the distractions. And then put the work into it.
    You want to focus on price ? Why then not just do exactly this ? Open a DOM of a nice market that you think is interesting to you (I like the NQ alot, but others prefer stuff like the Bund or ZN), and watch just that one DOM. Not for a minute, not for 10 minutes but for at least the morning session. Forget about charts, indicators and Idontknowwhat. For the beginning you just need one screen, with one DOM on it. Watch what is happening right in front of you. Not 5 minutes ago, not 1 hour ago. Watch the action unfolding RIGHT NOW.

If you bring up the discipline to do this, I guarantee you that you will make drastic improvements in reading the market within 6-12 months.
    It is so simple, but at the same time so very hard. Thats why so few people ever improve in anything. It is not sexy, it is not fancy, it is very tough on your mind and it takes lots of discipline. The same reason people have a hard time sticking to a diet, sticking to their training, improving in general, in life.
    Those who dont look for the magic pills and holy grails but just bust their asses (in an intelligent manner) with lots of hard work and effort are usually those who achieve what others can only dream about.

Good luck !

#18     Feb 6, 2019
    avigdor74, qlai and Risepoint1879 like this.
  9. bone

bone

It would be helpful to know what specific market or space you are interested in. Price action in ES is quite different than CL is quite different than ZN. There's a possibility that you could buy a bid and sell an offer in ZN - but next to no chance of it in CL.

#19     Feb 6, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. My experience has been to just trade and gain experience. And eventually create a conceptual understanding of how price patterns move, and find the right entries to give you an edge. You'll never create a model that is always right, but you can definitely get an edge.

#20     Feb 6, 2019
    avigdor74 and Overnight like this.