where have all the traders gone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jasmine1, Nov 7, 2005.

1. For sure no doubt about that, I read in Fortune mag that Stevie is at the top of the food chain on Wall Street and he gets everything first.

That being said I know for a fact that PTJ is a serious planner and doesn't rely on info as much as planning and execution.

#41     Nov 8, 2005
  2. I wasn't aware that Jones trades stocks? When did he make the switch? He started out trading futures.

Everyone brings up Rich Dennis, but no one every mentions his partner Bill Eckhardt, who runs a billion dollar hedge fund. The there is John Henry, Seykota, Clarke and a host of other successful futures traders that have been around for a very long time.

5yr

#42     Nov 8, 2005
  3. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57127&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

#43     Nov 8, 2005
  4. I don't know when PTJ made the switch exactly.

30-50 futs and commodities markets versus 4000-5000 stocks, where do you think that you will be able to find the most high probability trades located?

If your looking for execution edge then it only makes sense to have a larger selection on instruments imo.

In the futs markets you will be forced to trade what is offered with 4000 stocks to choose from you can trade what you WANT.

I was a long time advocate of futs but I rarely touch them anym ore other then their original purpose as a HEDGE.

#44     Nov 8, 2005
  5. magicz

magicz

I would assume some of the most successful trader that comes to ET are lurkers. We absorbed and digest the info that are presented here and apply a solution to what we learn instead of arguing pointlessly.

:D

#45     Nov 8, 2005
  6. To say that Paul is just in stocks is a joke and simply untrue. He is in everything.

#46     Nov 8, 2005

7. I have to admit that these posts have gone to shit. I too at one time use to stare at these columns as if they had a plethora of information to share. Now it seems to be a place for newbies and comic relief for the most part. I think that the problem is that the same people lurk arround this site without having much new to share. Being so the "Elite of Traders" have died off these threads with a case of boredom. When there are places like Wilmott you can go to and actually pick something up from somebody that might actually be laughing at others all the way to the bank. Even further I've noticed that alot of people from the trading industry have moved over to Darknets. Bassically the equivalent of a forum site, but it's not publicly available. So no advertisements, less wisecracks, free software, etc...etc... I've even seen post that point back to these threads on ET at times. More so than anything just the idea of that we are all here to help eachother within certain limitations.

Vizion

#47     Nov 8, 2005
  8. EPrado

EPrado

Not to break up an excellent brawl between you guys, but you really think ALL futures guys blow up? Far from the truth. It all comes down to money management. I traded equities from 92 til 2002, been trading futures since. I still have a bunch of friends trading equities, and all I hear from them is how hard it is. In my opinion, there are a ton more opportunities in commodities/futures.

#48     Nov 8, 2005
  9. Exactly.

#49     Nov 8, 2005

10. I'm not saying ALL futs guys blow up at all, I was asked why I switched and I gave the answer.

PTJ and SAC there consistent results are what I am after personally and that is my definition of success in this business!

Am I allowed my opinion ?

:D

#50     Nov 8, 2005