Where does the word "insurgent" come from?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oddiduro, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Being the trader that I am, looks like it's time to go long the "occupiers" by reading this thread!

#21     Jun 1, 2006
  2. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Yes, you are correct. They are synonymous in the English language. But for some reason, I perceive a “rebel” as part of something larger and more organized than an “insurgent.”

I relate the magnitude of the reported mayhem to a nation of 26 million people. After all, since so many people are convinced that Iraq is going to hell in a handbag, I expect a thousand times the number of deaths gleefully reported by the media.

#22     Jun 1, 2006
  3. :eek: "spoiled little brats"? "Newt Gingritch"? I'd like to say this is a parody, but I doubt you have the imagination to come up with something so asinine for humor's sake.

#23     Jun 1, 2006
  4. me think that in your case it is more wishing than expecting the thousand times the number of death.

#24     Jun 2, 2006
  5. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

You wish for America’s failure, and you hope for hundreds of thousands of more Iraqi deaths because you know America is the custodian of Iraq and now Iraqi blood is on America’s hands. Our failure is more important to you than the fate of Iraq and the welfare of Iraqis. You dream for an American retreat in humiliation, and you don’t give a rat's ass if a bloody Iraqi civil war happens as a result.

#25     Jun 2, 2006
  6. Afghanistan's government was Taliban.

Iraq's government was hostile to the US and we thought had WMD.

Saudi Arabia's government is not hostile to the US.

I repeat: If the 9/11 hijackers were Canadian, would you advocate invading Canada?

#26     Jun 2, 2006
  7. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Before I answer, do you know what "Sunni" is?

#27     Jun 2, 2006
  8. I know what Sunni and Shia is both.

Educate Me.

#28     Jun 2, 2006
  9. Can you tell me in what way the Taliban government was hostile to the US?

I never heard them threatening the US with harm before the US threatened them with harm.

I do know that they shut down the opium trade.

Is that being hostile to the US?

And if the highjackers were Canadian, that would clearly be an act of war, right?

I mean, somebody has to pay, and the war on terror would have to start in Canada, correct?

#29     Jun 2, 2006
  10. You have got to be kidding.

If you're not, please never respond to any of my posts again.

#30     Jun 2, 2006