Where does the newb start?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by johnstac, Aug 2, 2012.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I wouldn't let my friend that's a newbie and with no trading experience or with trading experience...trade with $25k of my money because you said your $25k.

#11     Aug 3, 2012

2. I think he's the friend with another friend's money

#12     Aug 3, 2012
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Hopefully he'll immediately give the money (in full) back to that friend. Next, he saves his own money while he's learning about the markets and the price action he thinks he's going to be trading.

#13     Aug 3, 2012
  4. You were wise beyond your years to start here. Use the "search" function to go to the first post of Jack Hershey, about ten years ago. Read every post of his going forward. Eventually you will find that there is a gap in time. Go the posts of Grob109, still Jack, until they cease. Then return to Jacks's posts. Let me know when you finish that task and we'll talk.

#14     Aug 3, 2012
  5. OnClose

OnClose

I think $30K is the minimum your gonna need to trade stocks. $25K is required to avoid the PDT rule and even if your not day trading your going to have losses and as soon you get below $25K the PDT kicks in so in my opinion a $5K cushion would be needed. Or just trade futures and then the PDT rule doesn't apply to you.

#15     Aug 3, 2012
  6. dvst8

dvst8

If I had to do it all again. I would find a mentor, trainer or someone to monitor your learning process.

#16     Aug 8, 2012
  7. BSAM

BSAM

I'd tell him to make a down payment on a house, unless he has a mentor.

#17     Aug 8, 2012
  8. I'd tell him to sell the house, and add another 25k to the trading account, and avoid teachers mentors and strange women, they'll be time and money enough for all that later

#18     Aug 8, 2012
  9. BSAM

BSAM

(I meant a real mentor, not a "guru".)

#19     Aug 8, 2012
  10. lindq

lindq

No, actually you will quickly find that there is a gap in reality, not just in time.

The worst advice ever for a newbie. Or anyone.

#20     Aug 8, 2012