Where does one work after trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by buzzie77, Apr 16, 2013.

1. You are juvenile. Classic response. You either go on the attack or say dumb shit like that in attempt to discredit the other party. You're an eBigMan. I was merely putting you on notice that you aren't as slick as you think. And. Couldn't. Care. Less.

#31     Apr 17, 2013
  2. bau250

bau250

Any old gems you'd like to link me to

#32     Apr 18, 2013
  3. How do you move back to a corporate desk job without a W2 and have a big gap on your resume for the time you spent trading?

#33     Apr 21, 2013
  4. what the hell kind of advice are they giving these kids today?
    If you are still living with your parents and not 100% convinced you will make it trading, there is no hope for you

#34     Apr 21, 2013
  5. I went to college and got a degree, and got a job with a fortune 500 company
    then got laid off
    now I have 60k in student loan debt and am living with my parents

Where does one work after college?

#35     Apr 21, 2013
  6. I started my own business, and for a while it was going very well

then the economy changed

now, after I declare bankruptcy I will be living with my parents

Where does one work after owning their own business?

#36     Apr 21, 2013
  7. Where does one work?

Do you work at a "place"? A location with a physical address?

Do you "work" for people? Customers that you provide a service for?

What is "work"?

I'm still young and have strong muscles, and you need shit shoveled. So if I shovel it for you is that "work"? Will that make me part of the "working class"?

What if I just buy low and sell high? Is that "work"?

If I do it at the local hardware store most people think it is.

If I do it with derivatives most people think it isn't.

Where does one work?

Better question is, "How does one live their life so they never have to work?"

#37     Apr 21, 2013
    lemarche likes this.
  8. can you even imagine your government paid Second Grade teacher admonishing you, "If you don't do your homework, someday you will have to work for a living!"

Or the old Grandfather "I'm trying to help you kid, but if you keep screwing up, you are going to end up working for a living."

Or the kind Grandmother, "I've always liked you oldtime, but if you don't start compomising a little bit you will end up just like one of Karl Marx's Working Class."

Or the wise Father who said, "I don't care what the hell you do with your life, just don't ever end up working for a living."

#38     Apr 21, 2013
  9. s0mmi

s0mmi

As a futures trader our first and foremost job is a risk manager.

And our second job is to survive every single day.

Your friends who have not planned for their future have no-one to blame but themselves. This career has no guarantees.

I am a futures trader at a prop firm for 2 years and have been consistently profitable. I've had consistently green months, and I never ever have any sort of ego such that I wouldn't consider putting it away in the bank or diversifying investments.

We take so much risk. So, so much risk. Every day that we make money is a blessing. You cannot do this job without a plan to put your money. Diversify in the cash, bonds, property, match the index as well, but by all means do not lavishly spend. This is a tough job and don't for a second think your career will be forever.

I have known guys at my firm who have traded for 15 years (there were two of them) who didn't make a single cent for 12 months and decided to call it quits.

I also know someone who made money for 14 months in a row, making great profits (50k to 60k) but because his strategy was so mathematical, he then lost everything he made AND some over the remaining 12 months after that streak ended.

You have to plan ahead. Good traders plan trades and plan for when sh*t goes wrong. You must have a plan A, B and C. And then a 'just in case' plan D.

This isn't a secure job. It's high-pay, with tremendously high-risk. Everyone knows it, so why not put your money to the side?

#39     Apr 29, 2013
  10. Roll profits into real estate investments that pay out a steady cash flow. It doesn't matter what happens to the price of the investment overtime as long as it produces cash flow-- 10 houses @ $700,000.00 nets about $7000 per month FOREVER and rent usually only goes higher little by little---- there, you built yourself a lower middle class income without working-- THINK, don't work! this is including managment costs and occasional issues not covered by insurance. surf

PS-- potential apprieciation is also a possibility-- sell the houses and cash out again if needed. prices drop, you are still netting 10% per year

#40     Apr 29, 2013