Where do the Top Traders Trade?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by pokerplaya, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I realize this is a problem, but even if I was just in the presence of people making mid 6 figs forget the hand holding, forget about the guys making 7 figs, forget about "real training" just sitting next to or near a group of real profitable traders who maybe let you pick their brain a bit after the bell or when things slow down intraday, it seems that no prop firm in ny can come even close to offering this and I don't know if its because these traders don't exist at these prop firms or because they are trading remote or secluded in a different area away from all the trainees that just sit there all day churning their accounts away...

#11     Jan 28, 2009
  2. Yeah, I think it would be next to impossible to find what you're looking for.
    I consider myself a good trader. But honestly, I think I'm not even close to where I should be. There are two guys on this board that I feel I should be on par with because we've sort of been around for a similar amount of time. But I know they make in a month or two what I usually do all year.

The only thing I can do is to keep making myself a better trader every day. To be more and more automatic. Eventually my buying power will be at the same level and my P/L will be in the same league as the two guys I'm chasing. Lescor and Dustin. :)

So, yes, I know what you mean about wanting to be near very good traders. But I think to be a great trader comes from within.

Open up to the reality of market movements.

#12     Jan 28, 2009
  3. EricP

EricP

You might want to try joining or creating a small chatroom of your peers. Even if that means that you are in a group with 6-10 fellow traders who collectively don't have much of a clue about trading, you will still benefit from the collective experiences of the group. Over time, you will all learn from your own, and each others mistakes, likely accelerating the learning curve for all of you.

I was fortunate enough to join such a group of trading peers ~5+ years ago, and I think it has been very helpful in my growth as a trader. You will likely have the best chance of organizing a group if you focus on a pulling together a group that has similiar levels of trading experience. On the other hand, you might develop more quickly if you are in a group with much more seasoned and profitable traders, but in that case, what benefit would they get from your presence? Forming a group of similarly experienced and skilled peers usually makes the most sense, and then you develop and evolve your skills together.

#13     Jan 28, 2009
  4. CTT

CTT

It is going to be very hard for you to sit next to a top trader in a prop firm as a new guy. Most of the top traders I know sit with a group of people they have been trading with for years, there aren't any open spaces for people just starting out to jump in and join. They work together help each other out, why would they want a complete new trader sitting with them who can't offer anything?

IF there was a free spot to open up I am fairly certain it is going to go to a current trader at the prop firm who is a friend with the group, or has the most potential to learn, etc. Not, a new trader who needs help, that is what a training class is for. All new traders get together and learn to trade, they all can't sit next to pro's.

Keep this in mind... I've been in a room with 10 traders nearly all are what you would consider a 'top trader' and each one of them traded differently... VERY differently, yet all made money. Trading is a job you and only you have to figure out, someone holding your hand is a good way to start, but from there, you either have to figure it out yourself or copy their every trade.

So, yes traders exist who make 6, 7 figures, but you most likely are not going to be able to sit with them right off the bat, you will have to start with people your level and make your way up just like they did. They succeeded in trading and are now the top traders.

If you join a prop firm, you may be able to arrange to sit with a better trader for a day, or for a few days as part of your training, I do not think that is unreasonable.

#14     Jan 28, 2009
  5. You need a join a prop firm where the person who is dealing with you should be able to mentor you
    I know a friend who had joined a prop firm and the mentor tought him some basic stuff
    Since the mentor use to trade only energy stock he would teach how to find out the 200 days moving average and folllow a certain # of stocks in energy make sure you know their resistence support etc.
    Rest it depend on you

You can bring the horse to the lake but you cant make him drink water

#15     Jan 28, 2009
  6. Great traders don't trade at these prop shops. They either have their own operations or they trade for existing trading companies. These prop shops are not in the business of trading and training traders. They are in the business of charging commissions.

If you really want to learn to trade well (and especially if you really are a poker player with a firm grasp of math and, particularly, probability), I recommend you check out real trading companies like Susquehanna International Group, Jane Street Capital (started and populated by mostly ex-SIG traders) and Bluefin Trading (a small but highly successful and growing firm). I'm in the New York area, so these are the firms I can recommend off the top of my head.

#16     Jan 28, 2009
  7. Dear CEO of Coca Cola,

I really want to become successful in the soft drink industry. I'd like your secret recipe, I'd be willing to give you a cut of my profits once I get going.

Wait, on second thought, that sounds kind of ridiculous, how about I just hang out in the factory to pick your brain, you don't have to give me the actual recipe.

Would that be OK?

Sincerely,

Pokerplaya

Isn't strange how people don't seem to grasp that trading is a business just like any other? And a successful business isn't about to give out their trade secrets.

#17     Jan 28, 2009
  8. So my point didn't apply if my analogy is bad?

#18     Jan 28, 2009
  9. Tums

Tums

it is an excellent analogy...

just like trading,
    even if you get the formula handed to you,
    probably you still can't make a good coke.

#19     Jan 28, 2009
  10. Fair enough, given the shops he's looking at. But I suspect even at those firms some of their top traders are now automated and not in the office anymore. I know it's true at my firm.

Bottom line, I highly doubt you're going to get to sit next to a top trader, why would the firm want to bother the guy? He might get pissed off and look elsewhere.

#20     Jan 28, 2009