Where do old threads go to die?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Schattenjäger, Jul 1, 2003.

1. I like to revisit the older threads sometimes, especially after they've been closed and no new content is going to be added afterwards to the topic. But I know you have to delete old stuff to keep the bandwidth and hosting costs down and the site manageable. What are the rules regarding the deletion of old threads? What is the time period or activity level that determines whether a "dead thread" will be deleted or not?

Basically, I'm wondering if, instead of deleting a thread outright, it would be possible to "Close" the thread and move it into a "To Be Deleted" section which would signify that they're soon to be deleted completely, say, in a week. If you could give us a week's notice, we could at least download threads we'd be interested in reading offline, rather than losing them completely.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

We keep threads for several years, so unless a thread has been deleted completely because it was totally worthless, you should be able to find any thread started over the last few years using the search function.

3. Great, thanks!

One question; why, when I jump to the last page of a topic, does it only go to around April 03 as the last post? Surely not every topic on ET is still active... Are the older topics only available through the search function?

Thanks again,
    Schattenjäger

4. Where do old threads go when they die?
    They don't go to heaven where the angels fly.

F. P.

5. They go to the lake of fire and fry
    Won't see them again 'till the fourth of Julyyyy

Hmmm...I think we've got a big hit on our hands, FP!

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

When you view the threads in a particular forum, you are only seeing the last 90 days of threads by default. If you would like to see threads older than that, you can adjust this setting on your account options page, which is at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/member.php?s=&action=editoptions

Specifically, you shoud scroll down to the option titled "Default Thread View:" and adjust the setting to be whatever timeframe you would like. Don't forget to hit the submit button after you changed the timeframe.