Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by alessm, Sep 5, 2008.

1. alessm

alessm

I've got my ninjaTrader...

I've got my S&P 500...

I'm overwhelmed but the possibilities and have no idea where to start with a trading system...

Thanks in advance.

2. You should probably learn to trade first.

3. you have to start with one of two things... whichever is greatest usually:

1. what you like
    2. what you're trying to acheive

Knowing these two helps to make lots of decisions for you.

If you don't know the answer, do the research.

There are so many different trading strategies and techniques, you can make or lose money with any of them. Figure out what makes the most sense to you, pursue it to it's furthest possible extent... passion is the key.

4. alessm

alessm

I do.

5. alessm

alessm

That does make it somewhat less arbitrary, thanks.

6. the other way to go is you can find a single person who has done all of this and just buy their book, take their class, or trade with them... and basically they will train you to copy them.

you can do this with systems too I believe, just google around.

if you don't want to cultishly emulate somebody else, then gotta discover your own path like I mentioned before.

7. bespoke

bespoke

Well then, automate what you do now.

or...

You can spend a few months testing out every combination of indicators only to later find out you wasted a few months testing every combination of indicators.

8. alessm

alessm

I really like this idea, can you point me towards any classes on automated trading?

9. alessm

alessm

Ahh...I wish I was that consistent.

10. alessm, sorry I can't... didn't go that route so can't recommend anything.

google around. even if you find someone to teach you, you still have to do some work yourself.

#10     Sep 6, 2008