Where do I hire a programmer to create or help me set up a system for analysis?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Laissez Faire, Aug 17, 2012.

1. So, only programmers can trade?

#21     Aug 18, 2012
  2. Lornz

Lornz

Haha, are you running out money already?

I've acknowledged several times (on several fora) that I'm full of shit. The thread you are referring to was about finding something to do with my spare time, not about automated trading. However, I did have something automated, only to have the inefficiency wither away shortly thereafter. My main problem was that I could not program sufficiently well to automate what I really wanted to do, so I decided to learn how to program.

I have always done all my analysis in Excel, which is quite tedious, so I wanted to make a stand-alone application, in order to save myself from having to do a lot of manual labor each day. My comment was referring to not knowing enough Excel/RT/MATLAB to be able to do basic research, not necessarily that one has to program an entire framework oneself. In an attempt to find someone to work with, I made a post on ET trying to locate fellow Norwegians. You were one of the posters that contacted me. I shared some of my thoughts, which I see is present in your post earlier in the thread, and tried to find a suitable language/platform. You were trading price action à la Brooks at the time, and you had no interested in "wasting" time on learning to program.

Keep in mind that we last spoke at the start of this year(?), and I began programming (albeit sporadically) in the latter half of 2011. Maybe I've managed to learn something in 9 months?

I find it funny that you condemn my "bullshit lies and fantasies", simply because that's what I've been thinking when I've read your posts the past few months. Shortly after we'd initiated contact, you started preaching about "statistical analysis" on ET, but you haven't even been through an undergraduate course? We discussed gyrations, then you suddenly started to post naive observations in the "CL Redux" thread.

I am, of course, an asshole, because I lied about what I do and I how I do it. I must admit that it left a bitter taste in my mouth at first, but, once I figured out what kind of a person you were, I was quite pleased that I did not share as much as I intended to.

Regarding books: My comment was simply referring to books similar to those of Brooks, Elder, etc... Of course I read books that describes concepts I want to grasp. I just don't read books about others trying to interpret charts or similar pointless endeavors. I do have a weak spot for books written in the first half of the 1900s, but that's mostly due to my affinity for that time in history.

In order to avoid having this go on for a few more posts, I'll save you the trouble of trying to come up with a vicious reply:
    Yes, I've struggled with mental illness the past couple of years.
    Yes, I spent all my money traveling the world in an attempt to remedy said illness.
    Yes, I was nearly broke when I returned back home to this godforsaken country.
    Yes, I'm self-obsessed and opportunistic.

However, I have the advantage of not really caring about what others think. I don't need to spend time trying to convince others that I am a successful trader. I am a fat, mentally ill poseur and I am simply using the internet to unload my personal problems in a thinly veiled attempt to garner sympathy from some, and, hopefully, induce anger in others. I do appreciate you freeing me from the shackles of my lies by calling me out! A heavy burden has been lifted off my slumped shoulders.

Most of my posts are somewhat satirical, but that sadly eludes most -- occasionally even me. It is my goal to one day rival both hypostomus and Jack Hershey, but I have a long way to go...

Good luck finding a programmer!

P.S. I want to apologize in advance for poor syntax, but I am hopped up on painkillers after surgery. Oh, I almost forgot: Fuck you!

#22     Aug 19, 2012
  3. My sentiments exactly. You are a dishonest liar and now you openly admit it. I noticed that very early on in our communications, but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and that turned out to be a poor judgment call on my part. As a consequence, you have zero credibility or trust.

You are giving yourself unwarranted praise if you think that you presented any original ideas on trading, analysis and market mechanics to me. I know this and you know this.

Now, please take your business elsewhere and stay out this thread so that we can get back on topic.

Good luck with your recovery!

#23     Aug 19, 2012
  4. well at anyrate, I wish somebody would reply to my post. The general consensus is it is a very risky business to hire a programmer. But it should be relatively easy and safe to hire a tutor who can teach you how to program. I looked at the book on C# and don't even have a clue where to start. And the whole reason I took an interest in getting automated was I thought it could be an enjoyable hobby. But it wouldn't be enjoyable if I was constantly trying to get ahold of the programmer asking him to fix sometrhing or make achange.

So I agree with the general consenses that the real deal is to learn how to program, and it seems to me that should be relatively simple to at least get started. I can see how once you got into it it would get so deep that there is no end to it. But isn't that what you want in a hobby?

Not much fun collecting barbie dolls and finally getting the last one, then what? Sell your life's work for a couple of grand?

There seems to be a certain eternal quality to programming, and I don't think however old you got or how good you got you would ever worry about the end being in sight.

#24     Aug 19, 2012
  5. Lornz

Lornz

First of all, wouldn't a "dishonest liar" actually be telling the truth?

Secondly, I've always openly admitted that my online persona is that of an ironic polemicist whom should not be taken seriously; I've never striven for credibility.

I am convinced that you have constructed vastly complex methods of analysis on your own, especially after NoDoji opened the gate to the wondrous realm of manual backtesting (http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=237799&perpage=6&pagenumber=4). However, you are indeed correct in that I did not present you with anything original; what we discussed can be found on this very message board. However, we only discussed gathering various metrics -- it's the actual modeling that is the real challenge.

It seems that you interpreted my statement to mean that I lied about my background. I did no such thing. I have nothing to hide. I have no ego to battle with. I am simply a failure through and through.
    I had a wonderful start to my trading career, only to spend it all by traveling around the world in a Howard Hughes-inspired manner -- a futile attempt at escaping my OCD. I only lied, mostly by omission, about how and what I trade, as I find it hard to trust people.

To be fair, you may also have been deceiving me when you stated that you'd saved up $10 000 and would quit your job to try trading full-time this year. If that is not the case, I find the tone of your posts quite odd. This kind of project will cost about the same amount, but I am convinced that you have done extraordinarily well thus far!

By the way, it was you who took the thread off topic by attacking my integrity instead of heeding sound advice. But, I have no intention of continuing this quarrel; I will promptly remove myself from thy presence.

I've traded for nearly a decade now, 7 of which I managed to refrain from participating on online fora, but, as my OCD made it hard for me to go outside, I eventually succumbed to my desire for online self-destruction. I have had both higher highs and lower lows than most, but now I am preparing for a breakout to the upside of this lugubrious trading range that is my woebegone existence. As I am almost cured of both my insanity and my intestinal distress (they seem to be related), I will, unless you force me to reply, retire my online presence now.

However, I do hope you can find it in your heart to allow me to, if only sporadically, indulge in the escapism that is Chit Chat? Would that be an acceptable way for me to atone for my indiscretion in this thread?

I deeply bewail my being a vexation!

#25     Aug 19, 2012
  6. 2rosy

2rosy

its becoming that only people who can program can trade profitably. Thats what I see at firms.

#26     Aug 20, 2012
    beginner66 likes this.
  7. If you can`t even tell the difference from the bid and the offer, it does not matter how well you can program in my opinion, and there are many of those. And not everyone operates in the realm of low latency and high frequency trading.

But being a skilled programmer is obviously a very valuable and increasingly more important skill today. No doubt.

#27     Aug 21, 2012
  8. I have built a framework that does most of what you want just post any feature e.t.c you would like.

Its open source so a good starting point to build you analysis over

http://code.google.com/p/trade-manager/

PM me if you have ????

Thanks
    Jmes

#28     Aug 21, 2012