Where Do Conservatives Serve In The Military

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hoodooman, Nov 6, 2003.

1. In the trenches

In the rear echelon

Neither, they are AWOL

2. maxpi

maxpi

Man, you are taking me back to Vietnam era memories. I was politically very liberal in those days, being young and stupid. I was in the National Guard and got training by the US Army for a few months. I already knew how to shoot and what not. I recall those guys in my basic training outfit discussing whether they would really shoot somebody. I couldn't believe it, they asked me and I said hell yes, some guy is running my way, throwing grenades and yelling "Die Yankee", I'm going to shoot him and all his friends, not a problem. I lost friends over that, most of them just could not bring themselves to shoot somebody no matter what, or so they thought at the time. I got tired of those assholes and had the papers all ready for signature to transfer into the Army proper and go to Vietnam. One of my buddies took me out on the town and we got high and he got me all paranoiac about the Army and I never signed the papers. I guess that was a good thing seeing as how the damn war was a political thing where the US was not really trying to win and was following UN rules.

Nowadays, in the US military, believe it or not, minorities are joining the military and taking the good jobs because they see the army as a good career, and the white guys. which are probably a lot more conservative politically, are up front fighting the war and are way over represented statistically. Are the white guys more gung ho? That is the image I have from reading about mercenaries and Vietnam era stuff, might not be correct at all. I love that Soldier of Foltune magazine, (is it still published?) their "reporters" are mercs and they have that writing style that is just not colored by any politics. BTW the US Marines are going back to Iraq, all that roadside bombing stuff will be OVER soon enough. Nobody in the Marines is afraid to shoot the frigging enemy or endure a little discomfort to catch him doing sneaky stuff.

:D

3. Maverick74

Maverick74

THE LIST OF GENERALS who went on to serve as president is short and almost wholly Republican. In fact, with the exception of George Washington, who famously eschewed party politics of any kind, Andrew Jackson, regarded as the spiritual father of the Democratic Party, mid-19th century Franklin Pierce , the nine other generals who became president hewed firmly to the GOP tradition.*
    In modern times, the trend is even more clear. All of the generals who have tested the waters in recent decades have been Republicans.
    Gen. Douglas MacArthur, hero of the Pacific war against Japan, delivered the keynote speech at the 1952 Republican convention in hope of winning one more campaign. The victor at the convention would be another general: Dwight D. Eisenhower, Allied Supreme Commander in World War II. Ike would go on that year to be the last American general elected as president.
    Alexander Haig, a general during the Vietnam war and former secretary of state, sought in 1988 to portray himself as the natural heir to the departing Ronald Reagan.
    Colin Powell, who talked to both Democrats and Republicans about a presidential bid in 1996, carefully left the door open to both parties as he flirted with the idea. In his 1995 autobiography, “An American Journey,” he declared “I am a fiscal conservative with a social conscience.”

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Senator John McCain - McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross, plus was a POW in Vietnam.

Former Senator Bob Dole ­ An honorable man Served in WWII and severely wounded.

Chuck Hagel - two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam.

Duke Cunningham - nominated for the Medal of Honor, received the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, fifteen Air Medals, the Purple Heart, and several other decorations (stupid politics kept this man from receiving the MOH)

Tom Ridge, Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam (he saved his platoon from an ambush. Vietnamese ambush success rate was 80% this is amazing)

Sam R. Johnson, combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam, POW in Hanoi from April 1966 to February 1973

What was the title of this thread again?

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Your post is meaningless in light of the men of honor I posted above. Posting the names of people who avoided the war or avoided military service is as meaningless as asking a 60 year old candidate for President if he smoked pot when he was 16. My guess is that 98% of the posters on this forum would have done anything they could to get out of the war or mandatory military service. Especially at the age of 18. Therefore it's a mute point.

However many distinguished Republicans have served in wars and received many medals of honor. I wasn't about to let another liberal slander the efforts of these brave men that fought for our country and provided you with a blanket of freedom to sleep under every night. I think you owe each of those men I listed above an apology.

6. mavman yer too much:D consult with axeman's fallacy list :p yer post fits right in:D :D

men of honorName: George W. Bush (R-TX)
    Born: 1946
    Employer: The U.S. Taxpayer
    Conflict Avoided: Vietnam
    Name: Richard "Dick" Cheney (R-WY)
    Born: 1942
    Name: Karl Rove
    Born: 1950
    Employer: Baal
    Name: Donald "The Don" Rumsfeld
    Born: 1932
    Conflict Avoided: Korea

buddy yer flipping:eek: sheeeeshhhh how old are you? God I hope they draft you and ship you to Iraq:D :D surely you'll keep on posting prowar and lovedumya rants:cool: :D

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hey, take off your liberal sunglasses. You left the biggest one of them all off the list.

WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON!

And you were saying?

8. You can add John Wayne to that list of chicken hawks.

He avoided the draft in world war II because of a "bad shoulder". Then I saw him on the Lucy Show, when he picked up "Lucy and Ethel Merts", both at the same time and swung them around.

He later starred in the "Green Berets" just before we lost the Vietnam war.

The no good S.O.B actually convinced himself that he was a genuine american hero.

His coonskin cap from the movie "The Alamo" is actually displayed in the Alamo along with the real artifacts of the americans who died there. I saw it there in 1975. To me, this was the greatest affront of all.

regards

9. bahahahaha:D

Right... Right who would have thank it? what took you so long to deflect the thread?:p soooo proud of you:D Don't recall slick willy starting a fraud for war tho....:cool: ok remove your head from deep up your butt...yer slipping man. Tell us for all to see dumya'ss honor:eek:

God I hope they draft you and your kind. Got any brothers or sisters of drafting age?:D :D

#10     Nov 6, 2003