where did u all learn how to trade?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ebayuser, Sep 19, 2004.

1. I am a trading autodidact with a fool for a student.

#11     Sep 19, 2004
  2. 20 years later I'm still learning.....:D

#12     Sep 19, 2004
  3. I learned at a prop firm that promised training, etc etc (lies). I think it was key for me to be in a prop situation because even though there was no formal training (I ended up doing their training program for them when they were supposed to train me), I think the experience of being with other traders and being able to talk with them while they trade or to watch is invaluable. Saved me lots of heartaches even though one has to have his own heartaches to break through in trading (IMHO).

The prop situation only provided resources for me to pick info from. The actual learning was done on my own by keeping in-depth daily trading sheets with detailed analysis of best winners/losers, percentages, time of day win probabilities, etc. Also, reading books and just surfing the web to read about all the different indicators and forums such as this and turtletradingsoftware.com are awesome to filter out the noise.

#13     Sep 19, 2004
  4. dav10

dav10

ebayer,samson said it all,all i will say is that i have been at this game for a long time like many others ,no person can tell you how-to trade,you need to do it on your own back,and build on your own confidance,all you have-to do is read charts good ,not great but just good,if you can get 7out of 10 right and cut loss that;s good and you will make a profit in what you trade in .In this prosess you my lose a few$$$ but this is all part of the game,DONT THINK OF MONEY,think of it as a game to make points in the same way as a child want,s,if $$$£££ comes in to your mind emotion will cloud your view,all i can give you at this moment in time is (TEC) work on S/R in any time frame it works for most traders , the more you put in the more you will get out ,and it helps a lot if just one person points you in the right direction,good luck in your journey of execution

#14     Sep 19, 2004
  5. worked overnight (both asia and europe) as an execution clerk for louis bacon iii, worked as assistant dealer in us/dm, us/sf at chase manhattan bank, promoted to us/dm dealer at same, head dm trader bank of nova scotia n.y., offered but turned down head us/cad book in toronto for same, out of work 2 years, chief dealer precious metals london shift carr futures 2 years.....fucked in the ass for the final time at the same..........been trading equities for 4 years, and never happier........my first "job" was where i learnt the most and the knowledge and environment to which i was exposed continues to be invaluable to this day despite the "drag" of having to have worked odd hours.........it was worth it.

#15     Sep 19, 2004
  6. why are u happier in equities?

#16     Sep 19, 2004
  7. imo the ability to recognize patterns while simultaneously acknowledging that the present is independent of the past is what makes the pursuit challenging, if not always fun.

#17     Sep 19, 2004
  8. Good statement.

You captured what I've been trying to get better at for a long time...

Mike

#18     Sep 19, 2004
  9. The way I trade now is pretty much self taught from experience, research, some books and conversating with other profitable traders.
    I started (and still am) prop. I was taught a half dead style which really made me nothing but made the firm a ton. I became profitable after swearing off that style. However, I had something to go on in order to advance my trading so at least I was given something to go on.

#19     Sep 19, 2004
  10. Breakthrough came when I listened to what Toa te Ching (thousands of years old Chinese wisdom) said:

Tao te Ching, tetragram 56:

Those who know do not speak
    Those who speak do not know
    Block the passages
    Close the door
    Blunt the sharpness
    Untie the tangles
    Harmonize with the brightness
    Identify with the way of the world

:cool:

#20     Sep 19, 2004