Where did the "90% are losers myth come from?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by human151, Apr 21, 2009.

1. What complete BS.

#51     Apr 21, 2009
  2. maxpi

maxpi

I'd posit that 90% of traders that sign up with Bright Trading [the owners of ET] and finish the boot camp and decide to go for it are profitable nearly right away and for a long time after... there is a right way to do things and there is the hard way that usually doesn't work out... I don't want to do opening range breakout or pairs trading so I don't do that... but that is my recommendation to anybody with some capital, $25-$50 grand or whatever it takes, and the desire for a career... I'd say the vast majority of posters on ET don't have the capital, pure and simple, otherwise they would be trading instead of posting weird antagonistic moronic stuff here...

#52     Apr 21, 2009
  3. I work for a major online brokerage firm so I know how much money people are making in their accounts. I actually think 90% is a low number, to me it seems more like 95%. You wouldn't believe how many daytrading idiots there are out there with brokerage accounts, that's all I have to say really. I see proof everyday, these people have no clue what they're doing.

#53     Apr 21, 2009
  4. I worked at an fx bucketshop and, anecdotally, it was 95%+, probably 99%

we would check any positive accounts to make sure they were playing fair and werent arbing us, and they nearly always were.

The other accounts I would make note of and check in on later. They usually gave it all back.

I never saw an account making regular returns that one could live on.

#54     Apr 21, 2009
  5. So if people saw an account regularly making money they would "stalk" it?

#55     Apr 21, 2009
  6. Its just that rare that they would make sure it wasnt a bot preying on off quotes.

And I would stalk on my own out of curiosity and a desire to learn from those who were making money.

#56     Apr 21, 2009
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Hmm, I've been full time 13 years.

You have no clue about profitable traders over the longer term.

This site has become a joke with idiots like you.

#57     Apr 22, 2009
  8. Euler

Euler

Thanks for your sharing your experiences, milktruck. Very interesting, yet depressing. I wish everyone considering opening a bucket forex account would read this first.

#58     Apr 22, 2009
  9. I think it is somewhat similar with stock and futures brokers.

Whether it is 90 or 95%, one should not get discouraged. This is one of the easiest businesses to enter. I think if one were to include only those who properly devoted their brain, skills,money and utilized proper discipline and emotional restraint, the % would be a lot higher. My guess would be 30% of those who put in 100% make it in the long run.

#59     Apr 22, 2009
  10. Sushi

Sushi

Retail traders are99% promised losers over the long term. Not prop traders. Totally different game

#60     Apr 22, 2009