Where can i safely park my money?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by konviction, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tom C

Tom C

2. Humpy

Humpy

Start your OWN business

pawnbroking is on the up - wonder why ?

#32     Jan 3, 2010
  3. teun

teun

4. Negative Extrapolation: Avoid It!
    There is a tendency in bad times to predict that conditions will worsen. On the flipside, when times are good there is a tendency to predict that conditions will get even better.

#34     Jan 9, 2010
  5. ya i herd about these guys, and prosper.com but these loans are locked in for what 3yrs?. And I want to keep my money in the broker account and not have to deal with the hassle of taking it out and putting it back in.

Maybe I could invest in a mutual fund?...a funds of funds..whatever its called. Some of these have a 10k requirement and im just under 10k.

#35     Jan 9, 2010
  6. hey .wasnt prosper type websites banned from doing business as u need to be a BANK and the FDIC/SEC or some govt agency cracked down on them

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/prosper-shut-down.php

#36     Jan 10, 2010
  7. Buzzed

Buzzed

#37     Jan 10, 2010
  8. spindr0

spindr0

A collar is equivalent to a vertical so unless one already holds the underlying or intends to trade the components intraday, the vertical will save on commissions and slippage.

#38     Jan 10, 2010
  9. spindr0

spindr0

There are a good number of banks that offer high rates like this. But it's a non starter if you have more than 50K to park since you can't deal with 5 or 10 accounts that compel you to make 10+ ATM purchases per month.

Uncle Ben has made it tough to get yield. Shore Bank in Chicago (now down to 1.70%) and Tennessee Commerce Bank (around 2%) have been among the highest MM's the past year.

Bankrate.com and Ratebrain.com list best national rates for savings, checking, credit, etc.

#39     Jan 10, 2010
  10. Tom C

Tom C

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. A highly respected trader I follow recommended this back a year or so ago. I thought the default rate was closer to 3%. You can pick and choose your loans. I haven't studied the fine print. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks,

#40     Jan 10, 2010