Where can i safely park my money?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by konviction, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Rimping

Rimping

Is what you propose much better than simply buying SRS for 7.25 and then put your stop loss at 6.86?
    You'll have a risk of 39 cents as well but unlimited profit possibilty.
    Plus you are more flexible in changing your position along the way.

Of course with the Collar you can simply sit a heavy pullback out and wait for a recovery.

#11     Dec 31, 2009
  2. Well, when I look at the numbers again this morning after the market opened, it's not quite as good as it was when I ran it last night...Max risk = $0.65, Max Gain = $1.86. BE at expiration a bit over SRS=$8.

Certainly you could use the stop loss approach and that saves on commissions and also gives you maximum upside. However, with the collar, your max risk is fixed, regardless of market events (assuming you hold to expiration). If your goal is to manage it as a trade, then the stoploss is a better way...if your goal is to dump your money somewhere and give it a chance for a semi-decent return and still get a chance to get most of it back if something goes wrong, the collar is the way to go. Since your thread title used the words "safely" and "park", I thought of the collar.
    My $0.02.

#12     Dec 31, 2009
  3. short GLD or even better buy GLD Puts, and wait at least 4 months...
    because gold will crash...

#13     Dec 31, 2009
  4. Bob111

Bob111

#14     Dec 31, 2009
  5. Are they paying 1.45% per month?.

#15     Dec 31, 2009
  6. Thanks for all the input. Perhaps cash is the best place for now.

#16     Dec 31, 2009
  7. 1.45% APR (Annual Percentage Rate).

#17     Dec 31, 2009
  8. #18     Dec 31, 2009
  9. Bob111

Bob111

10. LeeD

LeeD

I understand TOS means ThinkOrSwim. They must offer a decent rate on the positive account balance. It's likely to be better than what any bank offers on 1-year deposits.

I'd suggest to stick with the cash rate unless your out-of-market period is years as opposed to months... or you have a very clear market view like shorting gold.

#20     Dec 31, 2009