Where can I find the most adaptive time charts (2 min, 3 min, 4 min, etc.)

Discussion in 'Forex' started by TraderGreg, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Currently, between Oanda and TOS, I have 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, 3 hr, 4 hr, 1 day, 1 wk, 1 month, 1 yr.

I would also like to get 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 6 hr, and 12 hr, and whatever I can find. Even if it results in a lot of charts, I want to be able to experiment with them. Where can I find them?

Thanks for your help!

2. DaveN

DaveN

If you're flexible on apps that you're willing to use to work with these different durations, I'd suggest that you download NinjaTrader and set up a connection to forex.com (Gain) inside of the app. It's all free, no demo account needed, with plenty of history. You can work with bar intervals of any duration using that setup. (Just remember that Gain's history for higher level timeframes comes in minutes, so Daily bars = 1440 minutes, 2-day bars = 2880 minutes, etc.

I hope it's clear that I'm suggest this configuration for data only. I haven't read any good substantive reviews about Gain as a broker.

3. My first practice account was with Gain actually (forex.com), but they were not all that great. NinjaTrader was one of the first platforms I learned however, so I will be very happy to set up the Gain connection. Thanks!

This does leave me with charts from very many different sources, however. I would be looking at charts from Oanda, NinjaTrader, and TOS.

Does anyone have any ideas for helping consolidate all of this? I'm guessing using many monitors helps greatly (don't have the money now) and even macros, but how can I put things all on the same charts?

I find TOS has good, attractive charts, and I use them predominately for monitoring longer timeframes (weeks, years) as well as all the pivot levels (they have good price level drawing tools).

Oanda is entirely PA and TLs for me, yet they do not have 2 min, 3 min, 2 hr, 4r or week or year. They also have magnetic TLs.

If NinjaTrader can cover my other times, it would be fantastic, but is there anything else I can do?

Any other platforms I should try? I know of a few traders that use ProRealtime, is it something I should look into?

Thanks for your help!

4. Dave,

Thank you very much for the tip. I couldn't sleep tonight, so I did set up the connection with my old demo account with forex.com (not sure if this gave me any added features) and I have tick charts, any second charts, and any minute charts I could want. I checked the indicator section of the forum, and it does seem there is a good pivot indicator I could download.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a conversion of all my charts from TOS to Ninjatrader because of the way they set their charts up (I like the grids a lot). Thanks,

Greg

5. Actually I just noticed that TOS has added 2 min and 3 min to their charts. Hmm, that works too.