Where are the reverse split options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Spaghetti Code, Jan 21, 2021.

1. While reading about the TQQQ split coming up tomorrow, I also looked at SQQQ, which has split multiple times recently. OCC says that SQQQ options are now called SQQQ2, and the deliverable is now only 20 shares, rather than the usual 100. Looking through this further, It seems they are gimped options, with several financial sites not even recognizing them as real:

* IBKR shows these options existing, but won't let me trade them, and won't tell me the volume "Contract is not available for trading."

* E*trade doesn't recognize these exist at all

* Robinhood only let's you sell or exercise, not buy. (or so I read)

What exactly are these things? If a post split option can't be traded, how does it have value? If it can't be easily traded, wheres the volume to back them? How do I refer to these contracts since the underlying is the same, but the option name no longer matches it?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We do it this way.

upload_2021-1-21_4-46-1.png

Spaghetti Code likes this.
  3. guru

guru

They cannot be traded, only closed so if you don’t have them then none of this affects you.
    If you have them then it depends on the broker. My broker does show me the chart for SQQQ2 which I can use to close my option positions.

Spaghetti Code likes this.
  4. I can't help but notice there is no bid for the ones up top. o_O

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That picture was after the market closed. I assume if you want to close a position and give a market maker a little edge, they will trade with you.