When YOUR job is shipped abroad...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by loza, Sep 3, 2007.

1. I am a programmer / consultant currently on site at a large company which has begun pulling back all the offshore projects to back in-house.

It was not the language barrier but the poor quality of work. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

#41     Sep 4, 2007
  2. Based on your past several comments, I was afraid you were incapable of reading. That is the second time you talk without understanding. Try engaging brain, first.

#42     Sep 4, 2007
  3. Too funny. When I was in telecom sales, one telecom manager told me he went on around the world for outsourcing his call center. In India, they kidnapped ppl he said, under the guise of another job, and when the got to the sweatshop they took their shoes so they couldn't run away. In the Philipines, they have to ask for toilet paper because they steal it if left there. He said if call center agents can't resolve your problem they may be beaten by the supervisor. in PI it's a sign of failure if you can't resolve your own problems. He told if you get someone with an accent and they won't let you escalate to their sup. it's probably the Philipines. True story nothing embelished.

He later said that too the quality of work was mediocre in PI, but couldn't find a decent in India. Overall, he just decided to move his CC to college towns in good ol' USA or Canada.

#43     Sep 4, 2007

4. The poster you replied to is a fool. I have him (her?) on ignore, but have the misfortune of reading his (her?) posts when others quote him (her?).

One of the many ET sheep who post nothing but 2 liner nonsensical B.S. all day.

His work manager can't be too elated with the quality of his work. All he does is spend time on ET posting all day.

All of his posts are one liner nonsensical B.S. You can't educate a fool. Better to put him (her?) on ignore.

#44     Sep 4, 2007
  5. abc3

abc3

We can laugh all we can on these jokes. But reality is in IT industry these companies (accenture, KPMG, deloitte, bearing point) are no longer big 5 as they were before.
    Look at the market cap of these Indian IT companies.
    INFY, CTSH, WIT, Tata consulting company, SAY etc. These are the top 5 in the world by market cap.
    Each of them employ anywhere from 100K to 200K employees. That is 1 million jobs gone to these big companies in one country. These are not call center jobs but high paying IT jobs.

Apart from these there are 100 of other pretty good companies out there in India offering services ranging from IT to accounting.

Even the big 5 US companies along with IBM etc. have base in India and competing with local companies.

Manufacturing has gone for good to China. Services to other Asian countries like Philippines, India etc.

#45     Sep 4, 2007