When will SPY split?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Spaghetti Code, Feb 19, 2021.

1. mh22spac

mh22spac

I think they will split soon due to the high price. However, you can just buy index funds instead at a lower fee.

#21     Feb 28, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. %%
    LOL/my banker dad used to say pay peanuts get monkeys/LOL
    Something like that spy split=TECL. NOT in that one.
    SPLV is a low priced spy sister/not in that one\ too low for me.............................

#22     Mar 2, 2021
  3. zghorner

zghorner

anyone that wants in on SPY but cant afford an entire share should just go to a broker that offers fractional shares...problem solved.

no need to split anything.

#23     Mar 2, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. destriero

destriero

They will never split the SPX or SPY.

#24     Mar 2, 2021
    murray t turtle and ajacobson like this.
  5. %% NEVER?? Thats a long time/even for a long.
    I almost bought sort of a spy split/SPLV but it tends to stay so\so low + cheap\LOL
    I would not even have bought that much of spyg \ if i had known it was going down that much even though its a good split off spy /so to speak...............................................................................................................
    IT tends to drawdown more than SPY /but goes up more+ i have ttraded it + invested in over the years/good trade/mostly.
    VOO is abit cheaeper than spy/but all my charts are SPY/UPRO/SPXL......so i never bought voo:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution:,:caution::caution:

#25     Mar 4, 2021
  6. Cabin111

Cabin111

For me personally, it wouldn't be fair. I have both QQQ (200 shares) and SPY (100 shares). Many times I will buy the ETF (retiree with cash), and then do covered calls (LEAPS) just out of the money. With an up market it will usually get called away. I am OK with that; profit between buy and option call price, dividend, and call money reinvested into something else (think things like ADM or BABA). If it is near expiration and close to the call price, I will buy it back...Not rocket science.

With CDs earning nothing...Not worth going to the bank to renew, I want and need a steady source of income. If the option expires worthless, I'll do another covered call...More income.

The one thing I DO NOT want to see is the price of these two ETF's artificially rise with a split. More people moving in and inflating the price with a split. Other factors people may not see...

#26     Mar 4, 2021
  7. The price of the options is expensive, not the share itself. If the share price was less (due to a split), the options would be more accessible. Options can't be split.

#27     Mar 7, 2021
  8. Cabin111

Cabin111

A compromise...Announce now, after Dec 2023 (options close), SPY will split either 4 to 1 or 3 to 1. All options will have a chance to clear. People can try and figure out what will happen next, without being effected...

#28     Mar 7, 2021
  9. zghorner

zghorner

Honestly, if someone is that fucking poor SPY options are so far down the list on shit that needs correcting it is the definition of non-issue.

- spending habits
    - spending habits
    - spending habits
    - increase income via increase in skill/education
    - eliminate high interest debt

"sPy nEEds tA sPLit sO i cAn COnTinUE tO eAt OuT eVeRy MeAL, mAkE My BrAnd NeW CaR paYmenT, FEed mUh hEroiN adDiCtiOn AND bUy OTM dAiliEs"

#29     Mar 7, 2021
    themickey likes this.

10. I am using options as cheap access to leverage. I typically buy and rotate 2 year ATM calls, once every two weeks. As of close Friday, these are about $40 -$45, which means I need to have about $4000 in disposable income to buy these. Every 2 weeks, another 4 grand. This is not chump change. Are you are a decamillionaire?

#30     Mar 7, 2021