When will SPY split?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Spaghetti Code, Feb 19, 2021.

1. albion

albion

It's posts like this that make me think we are near a top.

#11     Feb 19, 2021
    Cuddles and destriero like this.
  2. If you don't understand, there's no need to yell. I buy options here the same as everyone else. The options I buy are usually in the $8-$9K range, and on SPY. The price I buy at is a percentage of the notional, so 40K is relevant. Since the price has risen significantly, it's getting harder to buy these options on a weekly basis with my fixed income. Splitting the ETF would bring the options I like back down to a range I can afford. I don't see why you are so angry?

#12     Feb 19, 2021
  3. destriero

destriero

There is no yelling font. It's disconcerting that anyone (you) can be this abjectly stupid. End of story.

#13     Feb 19, 2021
  4. destriero

destriero

Right dude. I know that you're background is on the floor, so I shouldn't have to write this... but they are never going to split a major index and as a result the tracking ETF. It will remain 10:1 SPX to SPY forever. Jeez, I wonder why.

This place is a fucking asylum. It's just cats all the way down.

#14     Feb 19, 2021
  5. ajacobson

ajacobson

Never on the CBOE floor - was in management. CME floor briefly and I agree that there is no split on the horizon. OP also pretty much laid out his lack of suitability - not my monkey - not my circus.

#15     Feb 19, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

ofc you're correct that it doubles costs... but anyone here needs to ask themselves what the SPX and SPY value represents. And why you maintain a 10x ratio of SPX to SPY.

#16     Feb 19, 2021
  7. 931

Next day if drinking occurs i dont invest on that signal, as its due to hangover.

#17     Feb 19, 2021
  8. Not really sure how to learn about this stuff without asking questions.

#18     Feb 20, 2021
  9. %%
    WHY a SPY split??One market maker ,Terry Savage,said they should split GME \ then it would go down some more.
    Plenty of good ETFs under $400/including but not limited to qqq..........................................................................................................

#19     Feb 25, 2021
  10. The reason for the split is two fold. First, to get more retail traders on it. I think most of us here want more people trading it. Second, it lowers the options prices. It seems like the people who have responded so far are all hundred-millionaires and haven't thought about this for a while.

#20     Feb 25, 2021