When will Ford go bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by a529612, Nov 11, 2006.

1. have these boards just completely gone down hill? Such a shame, used to be good information to be had.

#131     Nov 10, 2009
  2. sofar2001

sofar2001

"Google Cars " I like this name. It must have the ability to search the road.

#132     Nov 15, 2009
  3. Piezoe,

We are laughing but no need to flame. Let me give a few points why I believe you to be dead wrong (IMHO). First Chrysler is a company that makes junk. There cars are consistently rated much worse than average (just saw an article about the new rankings listing the most unreliable cars) in reliability. The fact that their minivans are on that list should scare the bejesus out of them as they invented the category. There resale value is terrible. They are the most out of touch of all of the little three. They are ugly. I could go on but you get the point.

You are right, demographics are changing but for the worst. The middle class is disappearing fast as the shift away from US manufacturing has been happening for decades (among other things). And the manufacturing that is staying or coming is at much lower wages compared to the past. That is bad news as the poor and the middle class were the only ones dumb enough to buy a Chrysler. Now half they’re demographic (or at least their true demographic) can’t even buy a car. This is hardly a business model with much chance of success (it hasn’t worked in the past) or should it be very surprising to those who take a minute to think about the situation. Either produce a product worth having or get eliminated. I believe in survival of the fittest.

Ask anyone you know who knows anything about cars or those with money: none of them I know (including me) would consider buying a Chrysler. They would probably laugh if you seriously suggested they consider a Chrysler for their next vehicle. On top of that, the fact the government put the UAW ahead of bondholders (contract law? What is that?) trying to keep Chrysler alive is further reason anyone who understands business would never consider buying a Chrysler for this reason alone, let alone the other issues mentioned above.

So there only hope of survival is for their customers, the people who don’t know any better when it comes to the purchase of the second biggest outlay of there lives for most of them, to start becoming more successful going forward. I personally would not stake the future of my business on that happening.

Fiat has a massive job ahead of them to change the whole market perception that a Chrysler is worth owning. That is a gargantuan uphill battle, assuming they can start producing cars that people want and that will last. As, traders we put odds on scenarios of all the possible outcomes into consideration and trade accordingly. Would you, considering the odds, bet or invest in the turnaround of Chrysler? You can guess my answer but that is something to consider for yourself.

Good trading

BM

#133     Nov 15, 2009
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Perhaps you are right, and perhaps we should have let Chrysler fade away. I'm thinking that the old Chrysler corporation is for practical purposes gone and that the new Chrysler corporation will be essentially Fiat. And Fiat does make very good cars and I think they will have appeal as long as there is a good support network of dealers and readily available parts. That's where Fiat failed in the past. I don't know if they can get it right this time. If they do, they might surprise you. I owned a Fiat 121 spyder coupe in the 1970's. It was a great car, very well engineered, reliable and terrific fun to drive; hard to get parts though on the few occasions they were needed. I waited a month once to get an alternator bolt from San Francisco. I parted with it reluctantly only for that reason. I loved that car.

#134     Nov 15, 2009