When will Bitcoin options start trading?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by ajensen, Dec 11, 2017.

1. sle

sle

Well, it's almost always a tradeoff between time spent and PnL received. On something illiquid and volatile, it would be hard to scale it to the point when it makes enough money to compensate for the time.

The options will likely be on futures or on the index (which will be on de-facto futures, like vix options).

#21     Dec 11, 2017
  2. Well, of course. But you're still hedging in $16k internments (this week) for the short puts. Very different than hedging the calls directly with fractional BTC.

#22     Dec 11, 2017
  3. just21

just21

You can short Bitcoin at www.bitfinex.com

#23     Dec 12, 2017
  4. If Bitcoin options were available, I would have two concerns:

1) Can IV be greater than 100%?
    2) How would Bitcoin affect the VIX? Would the extreme volatility of Bitcoin (and by extension the options) affect the calculation of VIX enough to render it a useless metric?

#24     Dec 12, 2017
  5. truetype

truetype

Lots of stocks trade at >100 IV. There's nothing magical about 100.

#25     Dec 12, 2017
  6. ajensen

ajensen

The VIX is a measure of S&P 500 implied volatility, and Bitcoin is not in the S&P, so I don't understand your 2nd question.

#26     Dec 14, 2017
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

FYI. I spoke to the CFE. In addition to other questions, I asked about options. They told me that they do plan to add options on the future, not an index on the CBOE. The option will trade on the CFE and settle with the future. No date yet.

#27     Dec 14, 2017
    sle likes this.