When to take a Vacation (without trading)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SethArb, Mar 3, 2002.

1. I take two days off EVERY week, no matter what!

#11     Mar 19, 2004
  2. After you have made significant profit or loss. Otherwise in summer.

#12     Mar 19, 2004
  3. Don't you mean a vacation FROM trading? Increasingly, I entertain the thought that my next one should be permanent.

#13     Mar 19, 2004
  4. SethArb...

this is a good discussion topic to start; and this has been one of my primary shortcomings in trading. When I got into this in the early 90s full-time, I did so for the very reason that it would allow for me to be my own boss and leave when I chose; also since the markets closed earlier than many day jobs, felt I'd have LOTS of time for all kinds of things I could not do in my former occupation. Well over the years that has not been the case, and the question you posed has been a struggle for me.

I recall in 1996 going to Paris for holiday and to see the French Open. I kept all sorts of open positions and was making daily calls to my firm and checking in on the market. NOT a good idea for a refreshing vacation.

My view is that you need to get away both after a good period, and equally important after a major hit or weak trading. The weak trading period is a warning that maybe your mind and body needs rejuvenation so to speak; the winning period offers an important message and a warning that 1. we need to reward ourselves and appreciate our "good fortune" and 2. a warning to be aware that many large hits come after a sustained winning period (as we all know) due to among other things, increased confidence and complacency.

Last couple years I kid with people who ask why I don't take more time off, since I'm my own boss.... by saying something like, "I have a tough boss"! It's particularly comical when someone who hates their daily grind, then proceeds to tell me that they have 6 weeks paid vacation that they MUST take, and their biggest issue is when and where.

I'm very interested in how others who have been at this for a while, program themselves to take regular holidays/vacations.

Regards,

icE
    :cool:

#14     Mar 19, 2004
  5. good comments NA... thanks!

Always like reading your thoughts!

regards,

IcE

#15     Mar 19, 2004
  6. #16     Mar 19, 2004
  7. lindq

lindq

Unlike poor NihabaAshi and other intraday traders who burn out sitting in front of a CRT every minute of the day, swing traders don't need no stinkin' vacation.

#17     Mar 19, 2004
  8. :cool:

I'm still hanging in there Lindq.

I only have problems with the CRT's when I don't get enough sleep the prior night due to the toddler or the all night construction going on about 50 yards away (new sleep problem) at the street corner.

Maybe its time for an extened weekend Sat, Sun and Monday.

Oops forgot...I may have to go support the daycare workers that may strike on Monday.

NihabaAshi

#18     Mar 19, 2004
  9. JORGE

JORGE

I always have nightmares about taking vacations after taking a trip to Cabo in April 2000. I'll never forget walking off the plane to make a connecting flight and seeing the market down 500+pts. I felt like I was missing the biggest opportunity of my life and I was headed to a place where I would not see any quotes for another week. For the sake of my girlfriend I did my best to enjoy the break, but I would have much rather been back home in front of my computer.
    It happened again last year when I was on a March ski trip in CO at the exact bottom of the market.
    I now schedule my vacations around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I take a lot of 3 day weekends to ski in the winter, and afternoons off to golf in the summer.

#19     Mar 19, 2004
  10. for the fresh perspective on vacation time for traders

gosh ... I need one badly ...

:p

#20     Mar 19, 2004