When to start trading real money

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by bitstream_ryder, Dec 9, 2018.

1. REDP1800

REDP1800

no one has to explaiin anything mathematically except the number on their statement at the end of the day month year. Mkt psychology is still alive and well. when investors stop putting money in the market won't that skew your data.. blah blah blah.. backtesting means you are sifting through optimizations in the past that you GUESS with numbers and distributions will hopefully work in the future. If it were that easy I would see these guys full of themselves on tv and with Billboards spewing their greatness. I was just saying I wnet down a backtesting road once and the problem is your data sucks your executon sucks and your programming sucks and your ability to re program and optimize on teh fly sucks compared to the BIG money companies and algo traders. YOU ARE TOO LATE TO THE GAME.. get it. Thatis all I am saying and when the mkt is slowed down again.. which it will be eventually then you will say..well that was kind of a waste. I have never witnessed anyone in retail with easy language or pythong or c++ or anything actually make a system that worked all the time. SO mathematics or not you need to know how when and why to impelement your system which probably relies on typical retail indicators. The system is alrady gamed against your startegy when you start making real trades..it all changes? why is this? well because what 99 % of the community fails to realize is that your 1 share your 100 shares tha 1 lot that 10 lot it becomes a part of the system a part of the data and your own trade changes the dynamic and mvoement of the market. how can anyone paper trade or backtest without being in a real environment. You do nto udnerstand the IMPACT of your trades in the actual market. PERIOD. and you never will because math doesn't make guesses and it cannot tell you the future which is a GUESS.

#21     Dec 10, 2018
  2. REDP1800

REDP1800

ONE last thing.. just so you know the CME has a test ability for the DIRECT access customers were they can "BACK TEST" or trade demo but in real time to see exactly what there orders would have done a millisecond ago in the market. hsitory is history.. for us.. we think in long terms of time.. like I amde a trade this morning and it will show up on my statement tonight. However, direct access and self clearing get the match information instantaneously and it is microsecond history that they can use for the next microsecodn trade.. they know what FCM you clear at ot BD and they know it is retail traders doing one lots underfunded.. so know that also

#22     Dec 10, 2018
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

He was outed as a fraud.

#23     Dec 10, 2018
    ironchef likes this.
  4. gaussian

gaussian

Did you have a stroke while writing this?

True. Except for when you want to be taken seriously. Every major hedge fund manager can mathematically explain their results. Look into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiskMetrics. RiskMetrics are used to mathematically quantify risk. Risk is yet another thing that is necessary to be explained in order to be taken seriously by anyone who matters.

Backtesting confirms an edge under the correct assumptions. For example, taking in to account the fatter tails than a normal distribution that are experienced with observed returns over a long enough time frame. Walk-forward analysis, a form of backtesting, is far more statistically reliable and reveals weaknesses in your assumptions faster. Paired with ruin analysis you can very quickly reveal "fat tailed" problems in your model. If you have ever taken an actual probability and statistics course at the college level you'd learn about proper model fitting practices. "The past may not indicate the future" is purely legal non-sense and is not realistic in any way. If it wasn't we wouldn't be able to model processes using statistics, financial time series included. The efficient market hypothesis is deeply flawed. The idea backtesting doesn't work is based entirely on that flawed hypothesis.

I don't play the same game at the same table as the big money traders. My algorithms are profitable, mathematically explainable, and backtested. I think you suck at it. Don't speak for everyone else.

"Typical retail indicators"? This is how I know this is amateur hour rambling.

Math makes guesses. The branch is called probability theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_theory) and it's the cornerstone of modern computational and quantitative investment practices. The past is generally a good enough indicator of the future to indicate an edge. If the efficient market hypothesis was true (which is what you are implying here) we wouldn't have a statistically significant portion of highly successful traders using the past to indicate the future. There are entire branches of mathematics dedicated to the analysis of signals and regimes.

I'm upset with myself giving you the time of day when you can't even be bothered to spell correctly or use punctuation but there you go.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    #24     Dec 10, 2018
    qlai and Simples like this.
  5. REDP1800

REDP1800

it is obvious all of the defenders of automated trading on this site actually are clueless as to what it takes to trade with a good algo. you cannot trade with a PC from home and expect good results no matter what your math..period.

#25     Dec 10, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  6. Ldeyana

Ldeyana

The new system should be tested as long as it takes until you are quite confident that it really works without mistake. I find it very important, because your system, as I have understood, cannot be backtested. Try also on Demo account to use larger sums.

#26     Dec 11, 2018
    REDP1800 likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

He stated his system has "clearly defined" rules (his exact words). Therefore, it can be backtested via a code or manually.

I think by his 4th post in this thread, he seems to have already concluded what his next steps will be.

Thus, seems like he's just going to add small chunks of money until he accumulates enough "observations" to go along with his prior trading stats although I've never heard of a "safe system".

wrbtrader

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    #27     Dec 11, 2018
  8. shatteredx

shatteredx

There's no "scientific" answer to this question.

William Eckhardt said in 2011 that he requires 1800+ trades (including backtest) before he goes live. I think Robert Pardo said somewhere that he requires 1000 trades.

I say if it's been working for a month, put a little money in it and trade it. Add a little money every month it keeps working until it can grow easily with its own profits.

#28     Dec 11, 2018
  9. REDP1800

REDP1800

how does one backtest and try and account for what impact there own system will have in the mkt and how the nkt itself changes daily

#29     Dec 11, 2018
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Now I KNOW you are reaching. You are looking to not just backtest a system you have, but you are looking to backtest a system that anticipates how the market will react to trades you make in the market, before you actually make the trades. Within what time continuum do you exist? Huh, wha?

You are not just smoking the pot and meth, you are also definitely on the wormwood and shrooms.

How the hell can you backtest a system to take into account trades you have never taken? Whoa!

#30     Dec 11, 2018