When to create a company

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by daytrader85, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Hello -

I have a regular full time job, but I trade on the side. This year I have been pretty successful and have yielded a decent profit.

When is it appropriate to create your own company for any type of financial benefit? Is it advantageous to trade under a company name, instead of your own?

I have plans of possibly offering subscription to customers, but that would be in the future some time.

Thanks for your input!

-Kartik

2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

You did not say if you are in the USA or not. I will assume USA.
    Firstly, understand a subscription offering is distinctly different than a trading business. Trading generates "unearned income" while a subscription service would generate "earned income." At this point in time, in your case, trading and subscription are separate things.

Unfortunately, trading profit or loss (aka unearned income) is not a deciding factor in the eyes of the IRS as to whether your trading qualifies as a business or not. The question you should be asking is do you qualify as a trading business.

http://greentradertax.com/ is a leader in this area and has a set of golden rules for qualification as a trading business.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently, there’s no statutory law with objective tests for how to qualify for trader tax status. Subjective case law applies. Leading tax publishers have interpreted case law to show a two-part test to qualify for trader tax status:

• Taxpayers’ trading activity must be substantial, regular, frequent, and continuous.
    • The taxpayer must seek to catch the swings in the DAILY market movements and profit from these short-term changes rather than profiting from long-term holding of investments.

GOLDEN RULES
    Our golden rules for trader tax status qualification are based on years of experience. The trader:
    • Trades full time or part time.
    • Spends more than four hours per day, every market day working the trading business.
    • Has few to no sporadic lapses in the trading business during the year.
    • Executes trades on more than 75 percent of available trading days.
    • Makes close to 500 round-turn trades (1000 sides) annually.
    • Has annualized trade proceeds in the millions per year on securities. Less is okay on options and futures.
    • Makes mostly day trades or swing trades.
    • Has the full intention to run a business and make a living.
    • Has significant business tools, education, business expenses, and a home office.
    • Has a material account size.

WHAT DOESN'T QUALIFY?
    There are three factors that automatically don’t qualify for trader tax status:
    1. Automated trading without much involvement by the trader.
    2. Engaging a money manager.
    3. Trading retirement funds.

Success to you

JTrades likes this.
  3. is there any way to provide "money security" to investing clients without using a custodian (expensive) and IB friends account (too much trouble on clients side, opening and blah blah).