When to adjust

Discussion in 'Options' started by Andy_Trade, Nov 13, 2007.

1. So it's best not to use this strategy all the time. Would a good time to use it be around earnings reports for certain stocks?

What's the best strategy you like to use for the bulk of your portfolio if long straddles/strangles opportunities don't always present themselves?

Thanks

#11     Nov 18, 2007
  2. spindr0

spindr0

That is precisely why I have been DN trading a couple of straddle positions in real time. I do calendar straddles/strangles for earnings releases and for a long time, I have observed the steady IV increase the weeks before the EA. So I'm hoping to get a trading feel for the idea before combining the two.

#12     Nov 18, 2007
  3. spindr0

spindr0

From what I've seen, you need an edge with this. You either have to get the direction right before adjusting orr get a bump in IV. Or both. Or just get lucky enought to stumble into a stock that keeps reversing! Since I'm not particularly good at either, I figure that the market should do the heavy lifting for me. Eg., positioning myself before/as pre earnings announcement buying raises IV. Time will tell whether this is a better approach for me.

I think that more a function of a biased person being correct. Had you followed the chart and shorted more shares and had COST dropped instead of rising then that shorting would have increased your chances of a profit :)

#13     Nov 18, 2007
  4. Well that is what we spoke of earlier. With COST, IV had dropped noticeably and earnings were coming out in a few weeks. My goal was not to go delta neutral all the way into expiration, just to read the mvoes and stay delta neutral as long as I could. When the stock was moving out of its range I stopp shorting stock naturally and this is an individual choice that takes it away from straight delta neutral trading.

If I followed the plan and shorted more shares I still would have made money on the large move but much less. However as I said I decided at one point I wanted a positive delta bias. If the stock crashed after earnings I still would have only seen a limited loss and would have had to cut nad move on. But I had a bias going in for sure.

I do nto think you need a bias going in for each position but if earnings catalyst is coming then you can adjust as the stock mvoes and do a reevaluation daily.

#14     Nov 18, 2007