When the Euro was weak, europeans blamed the USA, now that it is strong, the same...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crgarcia, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I tend to agree. But it seems the EU loves to present France and Germany in particular as being big proponents of the EU, and in fact they do have much more influence on the stage than other countries in the union.

Personally I don't care either way what they do. But I don't understand why common citizens of european countries would even want these changes. Politicians are putting bureaucratic control (their own careers) and economic growth ahead of everything else including their own sovereignty and founding principles.

#31     Nov 13, 2007
  2. Sounds like this thread needs to be moved to politics and chit chat. I'm done here but here's one more post for the road, not directed at you in particular.

I always laugh when I hear some parrot use the same meme statement that floats around such as that. Do you always follow? Do you have to take a poll and make sure it's ok for you to take a piss? I find it hilarious how the anti-american sentiment in some people cause them to talk to average americans as if they are ambassadors of the us government.

I didn't vote for bush. Many people didn't. It can't be changed. But I'm a big boy, I can accept it. Oh no, "the whole world has turned against us"! we better backpeddle and follow everyone else, NOT. You could dig up plenty of dirt on many countries but the difference is they aren't in the spotlight as much and things are generally swept under the rug. American politics have always set their own course to a large extent, for better or worse. This is nothing new. Deal with it. I don't agree with bush or this mess we're in but leadership and policies change.

#32     Nov 13, 2007
  3. 9999

You bring up good points. However, there's a big difference: American politics have actively influenced the politics of several countries, mine included. Meaning, if your government makes a decision, chances are my life will be directly affected. And I have no voice in this. Don't get me wrong, as a European I am very grateful for what you guys did in WWII, but does that mean we should be forever your colonies? Eventually, somebody will get tired of this situation.

#33     Nov 13, 2007
  4. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Thank you Spike, nicely put.

#34     Nov 13, 2007
  5. I'm not so sure. These previous attempts failed (for a reason) and they had terrible suffering and yearlong poverty as a result, not to mention the ignition of the next war.
    If this attempt failles as well, I think the disaster could be even worse.

#35     Nov 13, 2007
  6. yeah and half of europe is filled with terrorist cells, of course the US would be a threat. Then you have france - they are lucky if they have time to participate in polls when their own citizens aren't burning the cities down

#36     Nov 13, 2007
  7. andread

andread

please don't offend chit chat, which is a serious forum.
    Any thread with Europe and USA in the title should go to politics and religion.

I don't know why people have interest in this euroamerican nonsense

#37     Nov 14, 2007
  8. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Guys, look at last 2 month's growth in Hang Seng, phenominal! Now it has a divergence on daily (H&S) and is set to lose near 20%, that can happen pretty quickly considering the time it took to get there.

Let's just blame the Chinese :)

#38     Nov 14, 2007
  9. Yes that's true. America (since day 1) was always about independence and setting their own agenda. Since WW1 and WW2 made the US a world power however it always followed a certain pattern:

1. US makes a decision unilaterally
    2. The (western) world follows because it's either western democracy or Soviet communism. Very simple choice.
    3. US thinks they can do whatever they want forever without convincing others to follow their lead with conviction and everybody will continue to lick their crack.

Within the next 50 years the US will wake up to the fact they're not numero uno anymore. Asia doesn't give a damn about the US. Europe doesn't give a damn about the US. And Russia certainly doesn't. The US will just be "another country", coming in at place 3 or 4 in the worldwide GDP rank.. One out of many.

And to be honest, I don't think anybody in the US will notice. For any Joe on the street there are no other countries on the planet other than the US anyways. Maybe Canada and Mexico. That's it.

#39     Nov 14, 2007
  10. IluvVol

IluvVol

couldn't agree more, point well made. Its not that the world hates the US but arrogance beyond any means has almost never won friends.

#40     Nov 14, 2007