When stop loss doesn't trigger and price improves:)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Anoobis, Jul 19, 2019.

1. d08

d08

Look at time & sales, not charts.

#11     Jul 19, 2019
    Anoobis likes this.
  2. Anoobis

Anoobis

Thanks, d08. I think I need a particular subscription on IB to get a previous day's time and sales - I just tried. (I don't need it enough to subscribe.)

I think you likely hit nail on head about it in post #10 on this thread. It makes sense and sounds like good feature to somewhat reduce chance of silliness in markets.

You = :strong:

:thumbsup:

#12     Jul 19, 2019
    d08 likes this.
  3. CharlesS

CharlesS

Thanks to both of you -- I've seen the same several times and have also wondered about these lucky escapes.

#13     Jul 20, 2019
  4. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

Why do you have to be rude? That's not a stupid question my man..

#14     Jul 20, 2019
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

The Sell Stop, triggered, became a Limit order, but didn't get filled as didn't get filled ie the Ask didn't drop enough, what your seeing below is a sell.

#15     Jul 20, 2019
    isc1746 and Anoobis like this.
  6. rb7

rb7

I meant, my question might be stupid, not the OP's original question! Check the 'but' right after.

#16     Jul 21, 2019
    isc1746 likes this.
  7. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

Yes, I've realized that.. My mistake.

#17     Jul 21, 2019
    rb7 likes this.
  8. This.

And waiting for two instead of triggering on just one will prevent a lot of false stops from bad data points. So it's a good thing. I have seen my positions on occasion dip momentarily past my stop and not trigger unless it holds for a couple of ticks.

I don't fuss with it. I put my stop where I think I should put it in the first place and if it triggers, it is doing what it is supposed to do. If it doesn't trigger, it is not doing what it is not supposed to do. The only time I move it is when price is a couple of candles above break even, and then I sometimes move it up to break even.

#18     Jul 21, 2019
    Anoobis likes this.