When price is in a range why do some people buy at the top? lol

Discussion in 'Trading' started by propwarrior, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Depends on how liquid the instrument is, what came before, what's happening now and what's anticipated. In your example, the range is anticipated to continue, whereas the entry for a successful break out trade anticipated the opposite. Also something to consider in your example is whether the positions are being initiated or closed through execution of market or standing limit orders.

#41     Jan 23, 2018
  2. volpri

volpri

I like number 8 ROFLMAO!

#42     Jan 23, 2018
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

it maybe because the range had reached at that time the vertical support on the bigger time-frame

#43     Jan 23, 2018
  4. volpri

volpri

ROFLMAO 80% attempted B.O.’s fail. Top and bottom.

#44     Jan 23, 2018
  5. panzerman

panzerman

Because trading with the short term momentum and big money that runs stops placed at obvious support/resistance is a legitimate strategy.

#45     Jan 23, 2018
  6. volpri

volpri

It could be a range on a 5 min chart in a bull trend but a b.o. of a bull flag on a 15m or 30m chart and the trader may be playing the larger TF. LOL

#46     Jan 23, 2018
  7. Here is a market that is currently trading. Is it quite dumb to buy at the red X? Surely much better to buy at the yellow X?

range.png

#47     Jan 23, 2018
    Adam777 and SimpleMeLike like this.
  8. Hello propwarrior,

You ask a very good question.

I trade the small timeframe charts in futures. The reason I buy at the top range.

1. Price is moving upwards, so I hope it continues to go higher, and breakout of the range.

I am betting the price will continue to go higher.

#48     Jan 23, 2018
  9. tomorton

tomorton

There's no trend. I would stay out.

#49     Jan 23, 2018
  10. Good post.

Question:

1. Is buying yellow X and selling red X consider counter trend trading?

Thanks,

#50     Jan 23, 2018