When does one start trading big

Discussion in 'Trading' started by saxon22, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Well they would have to make their first career trade Saxon

It is ludicrous for you to dream of size when you have never taken a single trade in your life

You come across as a complete moron asking questions about 100 lots when you have never traded a single one

#31     Jan 29, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

If new traders understood that trading is much less a "get rich quick" endeavor than it is a "go broke quick... unless you're one of the small percentage of survivors", more would succeed.

#32     Jan 29, 2007
  3. I see absolutely no difference between trading 1 or say 100 contracts as long as in both cases you risk per trade is no more than 1-2% of your bankroll.

The only issue with trading bigger size is not enough liquidity and slippage as a consequence (on some markets), but IMHO retail trader trading ES definately has nothing to worry about.

Just keep trading the size which is optimal from risk point of view.

#33     Jan 29, 2007
  4. Logic and statistics should rule but they dont.......I have been trading profitably for several years , yet I never risk more than 2.5 % of my account on a trade.......... for several years I have thought of doubling my risk per trade to 5 %, but I havent done so yet............

#34     Jan 29, 2007
  5. <i>"I wonder how some of the successful traders move from that proverbial 1 contract to trading 10 to 50 or even 100?

By the same token, those of you who are successful in trading futures, why aren't you increasing your size to 10, 50 or 100 contracts?"</i>

<b>Saxon</b>, that should merely be a linear progression over time. Going from 1 to 5 or 10 to 50 contracts simply because risk % in the given account can handle it does not account for the emotional aspect of trading 500% bigger overnight.

If a trader begins with $5,000 account trading 1 ES contract, risking -$100 per trade on a stop, that's -2% risk per trade. Assume said trader has consistent success over time, and adds $95k to the account balance for tomorrow's activity.

Going from 1 contract to 10 contracts keeps %risk exactly the same. However, the mental = emotional conditioning in most (not all) traders would not be equipped to handle 1,000% change in profits and loss.

Most traders would balk at seeing their trade down -$1,000 on a stop-out. Hit three losers in a row for -$100 each with 1 contract one session, no big deal. Hit the same streak tomorrow with 10 contracts for -$3,000 and I can assure you most traders will begin to tilt, which may be the start of a downward spiral unless that condition is identified and rectified.

This is also equally true for mechanical system traders.

The progression from 1 to 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 to 10... contracts = share size allows any trader time to adjust with different absolute profit and loss amounts. Just because the account balance can handle ten times more size with equal risk overnight does not mean every trader is inwardly prepared to do the same.

#35     Jan 29, 2007
  6. i am a veterinary/sales manager for my company.we have have the following pets for sale/adoption.maltese,bradon,englishbull dog,and monkies.hope to recieve contacts from prospective buyers

#36     Jan 29, 2007
  7. <i>"i am a veterinary/sales manager for my company.we have have the following pets for sale/adoption. maltese, bradon, englishbull dog and monkies. hope to recieve contacts from prospective buyers"</i>

Are the "monkies" (monkeys?) trained to trade?

#37     Jan 29, 2007
  8. volente_00

volente_00

Good point, but on the flip side as one increases size and starts hitting some good licks, those bigger losses don't mean as much.

#38     Jan 29, 2007
    #39     Jan 29, 2007

10. So, I guess dating you is out of the question???????

#40     Jan 29, 2007