When does one start trading big

Discussion in 'Trading' started by saxon22, Jan 28, 2007.

1. there are a lot of people who trade a unleveraged position of a million or more.

the goal for them is to make .1% on capital on any given day. they dont want to give the market the opportunity to blow them out.

they just trade their capital for a modest income.

#11     Jan 28, 2007
  2. Sure, in theory, a trade at X # of contracts will work just as well at 10X in most markets. But when it comes to one's own individual account (as opposed to opm), preservation must be your ultimate priority.

When you trade in a market where the typical leverage allowed, if fully utilized, can either double you up or blow you out within a session or 2, you must "structure" your use of leverage, for lack of a better word -- and there really is no hard and fast rule for this other than your own tolerance for performance volatility. Equity traders can get away with being alot sloppier in this regard, but that is just a function of having less rope to hang oneself with.

I think most traders on their way up tend to have certain "breakout" trades that get them over successive hurdles; after a number of these breakthroughs then it becomes just a matter of figures. But I think in the end traders tend to just grow into larger positions once every so often, kinda like how a spider or crab molts.

#12     Jan 28, 2007
  3. Mvic

Mvic

Slowly but surely.

#13     Jan 28, 2007

4. Care to elaborate in more detail?

#14     Jan 29, 2007
  5. Do your own work Saxon, nobody is going to make you a trader

#15     Jan 29, 2007
  6. You too please go easy with yourself.

You'll know the answer when the proper times come. :)

#16     Jan 29, 2007
  7. Precisely my point. Why would I want to risk my $50,000 trying to catch a major break out and get 3 or 4 point, if I could try to catch 1 point with 100 contracts and pocket $5000. Even a mediocre trader can spot the time when the market is trending and get that one point once a day. Consequently,why would I want to hustle all day long with 5 contracts to try to achieve what I can with 1 point and 100 contracts?????
    Assuming very tight money m. it is the way to go or am I missing something?????

#17     Jan 29, 2007

8. Then what would you rather have me post??? Stories of my wife taking long showers????? Sorry mate, do not have that problem in my relationships. :D :D :D

#18     Jan 29, 2007

9. You sound like a monk in a Shaolin monastery trying to dispense knowledge. :D :D :D

#19     Jan 29, 2007
  10. Have you guys experienced times in your trading when risk approaches zero?

#20     Jan 29, 2007