When do we switch to June contract?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by BloodTrader, Mar 8, 2004.

1. I believe that the "official formula" is: the Thursday prior to the second Friday of the expiration month. (This is usually, but not always, the second Thursday of the month.) So, this Thursday it is! (March 11.)

#11     Mar 8, 2004
  2. It's amazing how much misinformation is on ET. The formula for knowing exactly when to roll the S&Ps has been the same for years and years, is exceptionally simple, and was posted in the thread just preceding this one by Thunderdog.

#12     Mar 8, 2004
  3. I think this is funny, there seems to be no definite rollover-date for currency futures.

FX futures are no old-fashioned, big-player dominated game, that's the reason ?

Currently, liquidity is pretty split between Mar/Jun (38k / 13k)

Does anyone have a clue when most players switch FX futures ?

#13     Mar 8, 2004
  4. saxon

saxon

What there is an abundance of around here is foot-in-mouth disease!

Here is the settlement info right off the CME website. Note, it is the 3rd Friday, not the 2nd.

The link is here: http://www.cme.com/clr/contract_listings_cl.html?product=ES

The settlement date is what it is. Of course, you can roll your contracts anytime there is a forward contract to roll into. So not everyone will choose the same day, necessarily.

saxon

• es.jpg
      File size:
      92.3 KB
      Views:
    #14     Mar 8, 2004
  5. franklin

franklin

It's the FIRST TRADING DAY before the second friday of the expiration month.
    (Won't be a Thursday, if Thursday is a holiday.)

#15     Mar 8, 2004
  6. Note that the question being asked is not, "When does the March contract expire", but rather "when do we roll over". Of course you may roll over whenever you choose to do so. But if you wish to always be trading the most liquid contract month, then you will do so on the trading day preceding the 2nd Friday of the expiration month. At least this is the date when the volume and open interest has rolled to the next contract month for at least the last 10+ years in the S&Ps. If you wish to trade an illiquid contract, then by all means be my guest, but advising others to roll over on the 15th is simply misinformation.

#16     Mar 8, 2004
  7. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

T dawg is correct.....BRIGHT TRADING? your guys swith two weeks before rollover....? LOL

Ehhh ok........lol

#17     Mar 8, 2004
  8. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

"Note that the question being asked is not, "When does the March contract expire", but rather "when do we roll over". Of course you may roll over whenever you choose to do so. But if you wish to always be trading the most liquid contract month, then you will do so on the trading day preceding the 2nd Friday of the expiration month. At least this is the date when the volume and open interest has rolled to the next contract month for at least the last 10+ years in the S&Ps. If you wish to trade an illiquid contract, then by all means be my guest, but advising others to roll over on the 15th is simply misinformation."

I guess we dont have foot in the mouth

#18     Mar 8, 2004
  9. pspr

pspr

ER, their switch date works out to the same as the Thursday before the 2nd Friday that everyone else is saying. Since Thursday is just one day before Friday, the 2nd Thursday before the 3rd Friday (triple witching) IS the Thursday before the the 2nd Friday!

#19     Mar 8, 2004
  10. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

well it dosent really matter to me, as i trade Options on equities and unlike BRIGHT TRADING who rollover their symbols two weeks before everyone else........i rollover mine a full month before anyone else......trying to get a head start.

#20     Mar 8, 2004